Childhood's Hour

"From childhood's hour, I have not been

As others were—I have not seen

As others saw—I could not bring

My passions from a common spring—

From the same source, I have not taken

My sorrow—I could not awaken

My heart to joy at the same tone—

And all I lov'd—I lov'd alone—"

- Alone (Edgar Allan Poe)

...

Night was when they came alivetheir long, summer days were ahead of them, and the Overland twins looked forward to getting to spend time exploring the meadows and forests, and not trapped in their schoolhouse. This also meant they no longer needed to obey their scheduled 'bedtime,' at least according to the ten-year-old twins.

Yes, as of today, they were ten. James and Mary Overland had waited all month for this June day, the one thing they didn't mind sharing. The two were always seen as one entity, which they presumed came with being born fifteen minutes apart. Mary was the older twin, and often used this against Jamie whenever they got into arguments. He'd argue back that fifteen minutes meant nothing! She wasn't any more or less experienced than he was, and he would know. For they were inseparable.

Even their beds were next to each other in the small room they shared. Jamie made shapes with his hands over the lit candle placed on the floor between them. "And then, the great wolf Sif leaped down from the cliffside, joining her children in the battle!" He created a scene of the dog's head swooping downward. "She howled, and it let out such a powerful echo that snow and ice went flying everywhere!" His voice was in a whisper; they didn't want to wake the beast whose room was right above theirs.

Mary held up her doll so its shadow was cast, "'We shall not surrender!' Said the Queen. 'Men! Use your might and slay the monster!'" Many nights did they stay up to create stories; they were each other's best audience. Their friends never got to come over, and when they were all together, nobody was in the mood to listen. There was always so much to do during the day, so it was night that their minds let loose.

Jamie went on, "And a fierce battle ensued!" Their shadows fought valiantly, "The men charge to protect the Queen, but they were no match for the wolves and their mother! Soon, all of them laid dead!"

"Oh no!" Mary cried.

Then there were three loud bangs on their wall that brought them back to the real world. The sounds of someone very tired and grumpy knocking to tell them to shut up.

"Sorry!" They both called. At least it hadn't been the beast they woke up; just their brother, Jack.

Anyway, back to their story! Mary was quieter as she said, "The Queen had no choice then. She took up arms, holding up her valiant sword, she stepped towards Sif and challenged her. Wolf Queen to Castle Queen!"

"Sif looked at her, she was impressed by her bravery. She loved her men as she did her own children. The young wolves backed away, making room for the two to battle."