"I Won't Be Long"

Jack hadn't moved all morning. He was laid out on his bed, his face a blank mask.

In the kitchen, Elsa was putting away dishes, having cooked and fed the twins breakfast herself. As soon as they'd finished, they'd asked if they could go play on the swing. She said it was all right with her, but to maybe let Jack know as well. Really, it was a ploy to hopefully get him out of bed.

Mary rushed into his room, "Hey, Jack?" She crawled onto the bed and began to playfully bounce on him, "Jack, Jack! Can we go play on the swing?"

He grunted slightly at her weight falling over him, but he merely looked over at her and nodded absently.

"Great!" Mary slipped away and ran to put on her shoes and overcoat.

When Elsa came to check on him, she was relieved to see him getting out of bed. She laughed slightly, "They never stop, do they?" Jack walked past her and went into the bathroom to wash his face and brush his teeth. As the water was still dripping off of his face, Elsa asked, "How are you feeling this morning?"

"I think I'm gonna go run some errands." Jack said.

Elsa's heart skipped a beat. Usually, his trips to town were more planned out, especially in this harsh weather. Sure, they could use the grocery trip, but it wasn't vital at the moment. She toyed with her long, blonde hair, "How about we go together? My parents can watch the kids."

Jack wiped his face with a towel and then said, "No, it'll get done faster if I go by myself."

Elsa felt her heart sinking into her stomach, "Jack–"

He looked at her suddenly, reaching out to hold her face, "Everything's fine. Don't worry. I just need to get out for a bit. By myself."

Her voice trembled, "Are you sure?" Jack nodded, then kissed her to prove it. Elsa then took his hand with both of hers, holding it tight like she was trying to warm it. "You won't be long?"

"No." He assured.

"You promise not to slip on the ice?"

He chuckled. "Promise." He seemed to quirk his brow in intrigue. "Y'know, maybe there's something we can do first." Elsa then got the same look on her face.

...

Gasping. Thrusting. Bliss. All of these things filled the air as Jack made love to his beautiful wife.

"Jack! Oh, Jack—Mm!" Elsa was in a state of delirium as he brought her closer to heaven with each slam of his hips into hers. Jack was a zealous participant; gazing into her eyes, stroking her hair. He wanted to remember her like this, her soft utterings of his name, her yielding breasts in his hands, her rosy lips that had been touched by no man but him.

As the burning fire became fading embers, Elsa said, "You've gotten better at this." Jack didn't respond. He began buckling on his trousers and reached for his shirt. "You sure you don't want me to go?"

"I'm sure." He slipped on his boots. He felt a pair of arms reach around him and Elsa's lips touching his shoulder.

"I'm so happy you're all mine." She whispered.

Somewhat lukewarmly, his mind elsewhere, Jack answered, "Me too."

...

Walking through the snow, Jack could hear the twins' voices becoming louder and clearer.

"I'm gonna go higher than you did!"

"Nuh-uh!"

They could hear footsteps crunching in the snow and turned to see their brother, bundled up and armored to go out into the world.

"Jack? Where're you going?" Inquired Jamie.

"I'm gonna go run some errands. I won't be long."

Jamie and Mary seemed rather surprised despite the reasonable answer. It became stranger when he knelt down and hugged them both. It wasn't a quick hug. It was a tight, prolonged one that made it seem like he didn't want to let go. When he pulled away, smiling absently like nothing was wrong, he noticed Jamie was reluctant to let go of his hand.

"I'll be back." He pulled his hand away, feeling more like a tug.

Jack then walked away in the direction of the road that would take him to town. The twins watched him inquisitively, too weirded out to immediately go back to playing. Steadily, Mary got back on the swing, trying to shake off the strange feeling. Jamie was preparing to push her, but he kept facing Jack, who was getting smaller and smaller the farther away he walked.

...

Without warning, Jack's face crumpled into tears, but he wiped his eyes with his sleeve to hide his own distress. They don't need you anymore... But that was a good thing.

Jack wasn't going to town at all. He went into the shed, pulling the door wide open so he could see inside and find the rope hanging on the wall. His entire body shook as he took it with him outside and towards the tree with the highest branch he could easily reach. Jack didn't even use a ladder; he'd always been a good climber, even in icy conditions.

...

Jamie had a terrible feeling in his stomach, even while Mary was having the time of her life going as high as she could on the swing. She'd noticed Jamie had stopped pushing her and she dug her feet into the ground to stop herself. "Jamie, what's wrong?"

He didn't reply; he was looking off where Jack had left a trail of footprints.

"He's just going to get some groceries." Mary assured. "What's the matter?"

The boy's heart started pounding. "Can you go get Elsa?"

Mary, too, felt adrenaline surging in her veins. "Why?"

"Just go. Now!"

Mary ran towards their home while Jamie ran in the opposite direction.

...

Everything was in order.

Breathing wildly, Jack strung the rope around his neck and sat upright on the branch, carefully making his way down so that he was still holding on with both hands while dangling.

All he had to do was let go.

His heart was manically racing, his nails digging into the frozen branch. He wanted to believe he was going to be with his mother again, but he knew he'd be with his father forever in Hell... It was what he deserved, wasn't it?

I'm sorry Jamie, Mary, Elsa. It's going to be okay.

Were those thoughts his or his own guilt's? Every thought he'd been hearing had sounded like his father's voice. That he'd served his purpose, that he wasn't needed now that their problems were all gone.

The freezing wind was eating away at his skin, yet he didn't even notice. A profound image came to mind; his baby, not yet born, nestled in his arms. Helpless and delicate. They'll need me. For the first time in days, Jack heard his own voice. My baby needs me! Jamie, Mary, Elsa. I can't leave them.

Jack took another deep breath, realizing what he was doing.

I can't!

"Jack!" A distant voice was calling and it scared him so that his entire body almost jerked.

"Jamie?" He cried out in shock.

Jack's hand slipped, and he was so astounded by his brother calling to him that he lost his grip completely.

SNAP!