Chapter Six

Myah

My alarm goes off at six, as usual, the next morning. Grudgingly, I sit up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. My phone vibrates again, and I sigh, looking at it.

Rome
Wakey wakey, sunshine!

I smile, setting my phone back down before heading to my closet. I pull out a pair of gray jeans, some socks, clean underwear, and my favorite all black hoodie before heading into the bathroom. Starting the shower, I undress, taking a look at my body in the mirror. As always, I'm disgusted. I look at the faint, white scars lacing my left thigh, the old stretch marks reaching across my now-prominent hipbones. Too thin, no curves. I'm flat chested and boyish. No wonder nobody finds me attractive.

As I step into the now warm shower, I think of how beautiful the Perez family is, Tony and Shawna included. They have such an elegance, such confidence. I remember Rome's stunning eyes, his perfect smile, and a grin spreads over my face. Then I remember my brief embrace of him.

I don't know what came over me. He probably thought it was weird. God, why do I let my clingy needs over take rational thought?

A few minutes later, I'm dressed and blow drying my hair. I hear a knock on the door, and a few seconds later Layla pops her head in. "Hey Myah," she says quietly, running a hand through her long, thick hair. She's in a sports bra and sweatpants, and a roar of jealousy enters the put of my stomach. Why can't I be like Layla? Pretty and curvy and luscious, sexy and sweet. Perfect. That's the best word to describe her.

"I just came in here to brush my teeth, that okay?" I nod, moving over and turning the blow dryer back on. She brushes her teeth and splashes water on her face, giving me a smile and walking out.

Sighing, I plug my straightener in, applying a coat of mascara while it heats up.

Twenty minutes later, I'm jogging down the stairs. "Toast?" Mason asks, eyeing me while wrapping his arms around Layla. I nod, sitting down and grabbing a slice.

//

"Hey!" Rome exclaims, popping up from nowhere. I jump, slapping his arm and smiling. Scared me, I sign, and he makes a pouty face. "Sorry, didn't mean to." He puts his hand up in a peaceful gesture, a grin taking over his features. We make our way down to our first hour. Rome has every class except third and sixth hour with me.

"Oh, hello Romeo. I was told you'd be in my class. Well there's a few empty seats, just sit anywhere you'd like," Mrs. Duvall says, a fake smile plastered on her face. He smiles back, following me down the aisle to my seat, second row from the back.

I notice more than a few stares and whispers, though if its because of Rome's looks or the faint bruise on his face, I don't know. Probably the former, hopefully the latter.

Halfway through the lesson, Mrs. Duvall gets a call and steps out, leaving the classroom unmonitored.

Daniella, the pretty girl who sits in front of me, turns around, flashing a brilliant, dimpled smile at Rome. "So you're new?" She asks, her green eyes flashing to me for a split second. "Yeah, pretty new," Rome answers. I can't distinguish whether his tone is nervous or sarcastic. "Well maybe I could show you around sometime? I always love meeting new people. Can I have your number, and we could meet up, have some coffee or something?" Rome nods, quickly writing his number on the corner of his journal and ripping it out, handing it to her.

She takes it, and I notice her small, feminine hands touch Romeo's. A flash of something erupts in me, but I take a deep breath, swallowing the odd emotion.

//

At lunch, Rome sits with Daniella and her friends, leaving me to escape in shame to the library. Through the large window, I see him animatedly describing something to Jonah, an unnatractive "jock" who spends most of his free time catching footballs and STDs. Daniella and her best friend Karol, a decent blonde who never keeps her mouth shut, tune into his every word. Sighing, I search through book after book, occupying my free time until this agonizing period is over.

//

"Hey, are you coming over later?" Rome asks at my locker after seventh hour. I shrug, ducking and dodging the bodies of students eager to get home. He manages to keep up the pace. "Myah, are you okay?" He finally gets me cornered, outside where I can't hide. I feel my embarrassment of being alone in the library, the hurt of him not talking to me all day, the hunger pangs hitting my stomach. I suppress it, however, and look up at him. I have lots of homework, sorry.  He looks like he's going to say something, but is cut off as a tall, cute, brace faced boy walks up.

"Uh, Daniella wanted me to ask you if you wanted to come to the mall with us? We're gonna go see Project Almanac and she has an extra ticket since KJ bailed. You in?" Without so much as a glance at me, Rome nods, walking off with the boy.

Shame and anger rise up, flooding my cheeks as I storm to my car. Tears threaten to slip over, but I hold them in. Why cry over a dumb boy? Its not my fault he's finding new friends. Did I expect him to be just mine? No. So my expectations are not met with dissapointment. I pull out of the parking lot, just in time to see Daniella throw her arm around Rome.