Chapter 14

Myah

Monday.

First hour ticks by ever so slowly. Rome writes note after note, though he tosses them away in frustration before I can even peek at them.

"Are you ever gonna talk to me?" He asks finally, his voice sending chills up my arms. I roll my eyes. I can't talk at all, dumbass, I sign, smirking slightly.

He gapes at me, shaking his head. "You are the biggest smart ass I have ever met." I glance over to him. His eyes are bright, like molten silver, and his facial expression is nothing short of exasperation.

"Mom keeps asking about you, she doesn't know why you don't come around anymore." I shrug, staring forward. As much as I miss Cass and Mrs. Perez, I would rather be buried alive than hang out with Daniella and Rome. The idea puts a gross taste in my mouth.

He keeps messing with his hearing aid, and I don't understand why. I want to ask, but I'm all around too busy being petty. He pulls it from his ear and I immediately notice the problem;

The part that slides into his ear canal is fractured, slightly bent with the coating clearly broken, exposing the wires underneath. My eyebrows furrow, I know Rome is the most responsible when it comes to his hearing aid.

My phone buzzes and I pull it out slowly, eyeing Mr. Reil with cold eyes. He doesn't seem interested in the class, typing slowly at his computer.

I pull out my phone, reading the frantic messages. 

From: Shawna 💖
cass cheated on me
11:32 am

From: Shawna 💖
i walked in on it. in the bathroom.
11:33 am

From: Shawna 💖
please drive me home. please please fucking take me home
11:34 am

I quickly send her an okay, raising my hand. He calls me to the front and I write sloppily on my whiteboard.

I need to go to the bathroom. Lady issues.

He nods and dismisses me with a wave. I glance at Rome, who is looking at me with nothing short of questioning.

Jogging down the hallway and making a sharp turn, I hear suppressed cries coming from, naturally, a locked janitors closet. I shake on the doorknob slightly, leaning against the door.

Shawna, I mouth, praying for my voice to make a spectacular return. Of course, it doesn't. The door opens slightly, and a blonde, frizzy head pokes out. "Myah," her eyes soften and she launches herself onto me, her head in my shoulder as her her sobs shake the both of us.

I pull away first, taking her hand and leading her down the long hallway, out onto the student parking lot. Together we jog to my car. She lays down on my backseat, her heart shattering cries finally breaking the surface.

I grip the steering wheel, my knuckles turning white. How could Cassieopiea do this? As much as her and Shawna have been through, this is what she decides to do? In a school bathroom.

Address? I sign to her, and she gives it to me, brokenly.

I drive for what seems like forever. Shawna's cries tear a gash in me. Someone so pure, so gentle, screaming with the voice of someone whose whole life has been rocked.

Following her instructions, I pull into a small trailer park, lines of multicolored laundry hanging over childrens toys. Pulling up to a tiny, light blue mobile home, I stop, taking it in. The small windows are spotless, and I see different colors of curtains in each one.

A wooded patio sits on the side, leading to a bright teal door adorned with a yellow wreath.

I get out, walking to the back and pulling Shawna out. She's weak, crying so hard for so long taking all the energy from her. She leans on me all the way up the steps, and I knock on the door, hearing the faint sound of children from inside.

A tall, wiry man with crazy blonde curls and vivid blue eyes, his glasses asked and his white shirt stained.

His appearance is so sudden I don't even notice the toddler in his arms. His curls match Shawna's, as do his warm brown eyes, and once his gaze reaches his sister a wide, toothless grin takes over his small face.

"Shawna? Are you alright baby?" The man sets the toddler down, and he waddles to a small set of teething toys.  The man, who's kind face is now furrowed in confusion, pulls his daughter inside, and she buries her face in his chest before her sobs start again.

I pull my whiteboard from my bag, writing quickly as the man stares at me in confusion.

I'm Myah, Shawna asked me to bring her home because she saw Cass cheating on her. I can't speak verbally sir

He reads over the note quickly and nods, motioning for me to come in. "Shawna's told me about you, please come inside Myah." His arm around his daughter, he shuts and locks the door behind me before hugging her tightly once more.

The conjoining living room and kitchen is small, but bright and airy. Light wooded floors and white walls adorned with children's drawings and a medium sized television. A pale blue couch and a wooden coffee table. Mismatched, but cute nonetheless.

Shawna's father pulls her to the couch, both of them sitting. "Tell me what happened, darling," he smooths her curls up into a ponytail with scarred hands, trying her hair from her face.

She takes a deep, shaky breath, the toddler crawling onto her legs with a giggle. "Hi, SJ," she smiles weakly, pulling him onto her lap before she tells what happened.

"I was in the hallway. I wasn't gonna go into the bathroom, but for some reason I thought I needed to wash my hands. I walked in, a-and," she chokes up, and SJ begins playing with her hands. "And Cass had Kena Jones on the counter. Kissing. T-touching."

My heart stops, remembering how it felt to see Daniella and Rome. But I wasn't with Rome, let alone for three years. I didn't go through the obstacles Cass and Shawna did since I was 13. How, how could Cassie?

"And I sort of, I don't know, gasped? A-and Cass turned around, and her eyes got really b-big, and she reached for me. But I didn't want to touch her. She just had her hands up Kena's... Up Kena's shirt, I didn't want her to touch me."

Her dad shakes his head, pulling her against him. "I never thought Cass would do this, baby, I really never did," He rubs his eyes under his glasses, SJ reaching for them with chubby hands.

"Myah, thank you for bringing her home. I'm Shawn Wilk, Shawna's father. I've heard a lot about you, sweetheart," he smiles kindly, and now I know where Shawna gets her gentle heart.

A gentle heart now torn to pieces.