Chapter Seven

Romeo

"So, I'll be seeing more of you, right?" Daniella asks, cocking an eyebrow at me as we stand outside the movie theater. She talks quietly, and I have to read her lips to understand her. "Of course," I smile, unable to hide my nervousness. "What about that Myah girl? She doesn't seem like the type of person someone like you would hang out with." Fuck. I've been hoping to avoid the subject of Myah. She looked so lonely today, and she wouldn't even make eye contact with me after school. Its not like I'm her only friend, right? I'll text her later.

"What do you mean?" I ask nervously, running a hand through my hair. Daniella smiles, a glint in her eye that I don't quite like. "You know what I mean. You're friendly, she's not. She's actually kind of rude. And weird. Always reading, and carrying around that dumb whiteboard with her. Plus, I don't think she's much your type." I clear my throat, remembering the day Myah and I spent hours drawing things on her whiteboard. "My type?" I cringe as my voice cracks on the second word. Daniella laughs, a throaty sound resembling that of a bulldog.

"You're the kind of guy who likes a girl with, you know," she makes a gesture to her own curves, concealed only by a pale pink sweater and black leggings. "And Myah doesn't have any... Noticeable assets." I should defend her. Myah is the most amazing person I've ever met, looks and all.

So why am I not sticking up for her? Thankfully, the group comes at that moment, laughing and pushing each other around. Daniella links her arm with mine, and we set off toward the cars.

//

To: Myah
Hey. You up?
Sent at: 12:46 am

I get a reply almost immediately.

From: Myah
I'm in bed. I'm really tired. Hope you had a nice time. See you tmr.

My heart sinks.