Chapter Two

Myah

The ride to his home was short and silent. He didn't say a word, didn't reach for the radio, didn't do anything. He just sat, hands folded in his lap, and looked out of the window.

Upon pulling up to his house, I almost lose my breath. Its the type of home I've always wanted. Two stories, painted white with many huge bay windows, a nice sized, screened in porch with a swing and a cute little table. On the side, children's toys littered about, save for one tricycle upside down in front of the patio. A home, not a house.

Romeo takes my sweater from his face, which is smeared with blood and starting to turn blue and purple. As he opens the door, his eyes light up.

"I have an idea!" He says brightly, a grin that soon turns into a grimace of pain warping his face. "I'll wash your sweater, and then later on you can come back and get it. Deal?" The only thing I can manage is a smile and a nod, and he runs into his home, waving to me before shutting the door behind him.

//

"Myah? Is that you?" Says the rugged voice belonging to my older brother, Mason. His head pokes around the corner, and he flashes a smile and beckons me closer. Sighing, I follow him to the living room to see his girlfriend Layla asleep on the couch. Her long black hair is perfectly straight, falling across her face and shoulders as she shifts.

I look at Mason and my heart almost melts, literally. His soft brown eyes are focused completely on her, and a small, content smile is playing on his lips. "Isn't she beautiful?" He whispers, and I nod quickly. Mason sits down, his back against the couch, and takes Layla's hand in his, focusing back on the TV.

I trudge down the hall to my small bedroom, shutting the door quietly behind me. The room is painted pale blue with white trim. My carpet is beige, much like sand. Seashells and starfish stick on random places on the walls, all of it tying in with my white blankets and curtains. "Beachy," my Aunt had called it. I don't even like the beach.

I sit for a while, occupying myself with books and music until the clock down the hall chimes six o clock. Somewhat excited, I jump up, grabbing my keys and almost sprinting out of the house.

Almost to my car, I hear my brother screaming for me. Damn it Mason. I turn back into the house, and see Layla straddled on his lap. Not in a sexual way, not at all. Just her legs wrapped around him, her head laying against his shoulder with his hands tangled in hers.

"What time will you be back?" He asks, and I shrug. "Alright, but try to let me know okay? Love you." Layla pops up and blows me a kiss, which I return. I love you too, I sign to my brother, and he nods before directing his attention to Layla's startling green eyes.

It only takes me a few minutes to get back to Romeo's house.

//