Chapter Twenty-Two

It's been a week since they decided to hide on the mountain in the run-down cottage. However, Wei Wuxian worked tirelessly at repairing the house for it to be livable for the four of them. Though it being small, Wei Wuxian was able to put up walls to create privacy among them, though it only came to be two-room on either side of the cottage, made due to what little they had. Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian shared space while the Jiang sibling shared the other, though Jiang Cheng was still in a coma, Wei Wuxian can tell he is getting stronger and will wake up sooner rather than later.

Outside, even though they aren't sure how much longer they will be needed to stay here, Lan Wangji started a garden with the vegetables that Wei Wuxian stole, so they don't push their luck of Wei Wuxian being caught. Lan Wangji also forbids Wei Wuxian to bring home any more rabbits, as it turns out to be his favorite animal.

Not wanting to upset Lan Wangji by hunting rabbits anymore, Wei Wuxian turned his game to pheasants and fish. He would even gather berries and nuts further into the forest. Once gathering food was done Wei Wuxian started to fix and make more stuff for them to be able to use. After he fixed the ceiling and walls of the house and created rooms for them, Wei Wuxian set his sights on fixing an area for Jiang Yanli to cook until her heart is content, as she made it clear, staying busy is helping her forget. Wei Wuxian even made her a few knives and spoons with wooden pots and stone pans for her to be able to cook with.

On top of that Wei Wuxian made wooden bowls and chopsticks to be able to eat with. It might not be extravagant stuff that the three main Sect. families are used to, but it was more than enough that Wei Wuxian did in only a week. The next project was to build a better firepit for Jiang Yanli and a table for them to be able to sit at and enjoy their meals without having to sit around at any open space on the floor.

Even with the littles money Wei Wuxian had left, Wei Wuxian went to a market and bought cloth and cotton with needles and thread to make makeshift chairs for around the table. Everything was going fine.

Until one day Wei Wuxian finally realized that the town that was close to them belonged to the Wen Clan, but he wasn't fast to judge as they never seemed to have done anything wrong to deserve the God's wrath, but he did tell Lan Wangji who was quick to stand up as if he was going to burn the village to the ground as the Wen's has done to Cloud Recesses, and Wei Wuxian was fast to stop him.

"What are you thinking you're going to do?" Wei Wuxian snaps at him.

"Wen's are evil." Lan Wangji grits out but is still emotionless.

"How is a bunch of doctors and farmers, with their children, evil Lan Wangji?!?!" Wei Wuxian hisses, "If you go out there and kill the innocents then you're no better than the ones who held up a torch up to your home!"

Wei Wuxian's words seemed to make an impact on Lan Wangji as his eyes fell to the ground and looked guilty as ever, "I'm sorry." he whispers.

Taking a deep breath, Wei Wuxian motions for Lan Wangji to sit again. "You're tired and emotionally distressed. War can do that to any good person, but we can't let this affect our judgment Lan Wanji! We Have to be better than the ones who set out this path for us so we can make it better for the future."

"Mnh," was all Lan Wangji said.

The next day Wei Wuxian got up to check on Jiang Cheng to see he was still in a coma, but any time now he will wake, and soon after he gains some strength Wei Wuxian will make him a new core. Going outside, Wei Wuxian breaths in the morning must, enjoying the peaceful side of this mountain, wanting to stay here forever. Maybe after the war, he can convince Lan Wangji to come back here with him.

Speaking about Lan Wangji Wei Wuxian finds him doing a handstand under the morning sun only wearing his outer robe and trousers, but his robes fall around his hands pulling up just enough where Wei Wuxian could see a small bit of his stomach, well more abs then stomach. Heat rises to his cheeks and quickly looks away to stare down at Lan Wangji's face to see it still emotionless and cared perfectly for Jade.

"May I ask what you're doing Lan Wangji?" Wei Wuxian asks, a bit confused.

"Punishing." was his answer.

"Punishment for what?"

"Penitence."

Raising an eyebrow Wei Wuxian was a bit shocked, "You're feeling penitence for what you thought of doing to the Wen village aren't you?"

"Mnh."

Knowing how he Lan's are and with their punishments, there was nothing he could do or say to change Lan Wangji's mind in punishing himself, so he left him be and decided to start on his chores.