C H A P T E R 12

HAUNTING GAMES

Dylan

The black tuxedo and sleek cigarette pants clung to my human form perfectly. There was no undershirt and only a light gray vest that dipped too low covered the essentials. The long white gold chains attached to a rose gold moonstone with diamonds lined to form a crescent did little to conceal the span of soft flesh left exposed. Had I left my snowy long hair undyed, the extreme contrast of light and dark would be stark. Beside me, a staff knelt down to place the black stilettos and another offered me the cufflinks to complete the ensemble and all the while, the Mitchell matriarchs dotingly watched on. For them, it's the preparation for their Dylan's special day but, for me, its a road to the culmination of centuries of waiting.

'I'll be marrying my beloved.'

The difference in years made no difference-human ceremonies were vexing.

In Mayari's time, an esteemed young man would ask for a maiden's hand by thrusting his spear into the wooden step of her father's house. Calling on the presence of the chief, the freemen and the slaves, he'd announce his intention to marry the young lady he claims. If no one challenges and the marriage was accepted, a 'pangayu', dowry, would come in troves. Aside from the dowry, he would live a year in service of the maiden's family. Then after, an auspicous time decided, the 'babaylan', the village high priest, would preside over the wedding-a three-day celebration overflowing with the finest food and drink.

As a freed slave, Liway couldn't have that. Even when I came to love her as a man, I couldn't honor her with the tradition only granted to the rich. Had she said the word and formally accepted me, in the eyes of everyone in her community, I would not have only been her lover; I would have gladly been her 'husband'.

As a 'binukot', Mayari was entitled to a lavish wedding. However, when a horde of fair-skinned 'mangatang dayo', foreign marauders, lay siege of their village, she became the ransom. The threat of death as the proposal, her family and their people's lives spared as the dowry, and their cries for deliverance from the one they trained in frailty became the unbreakable binds that sealed her fate.

"You look great in everything," Dylan's mother, Sheryl, came over and patted at the creases of the tux's shoulders, "Frederick would have wanted you in a dress."

"Isabel wanted to be the one wearing the bridal gown."

"I know." She could only nod and smile as I, again, put my woman's wishes over hers.

"Nonsense! It's your wedding too so, why can't you?" Grandma Mitchell called over as she sat and browsed through the catalogue. "Wear what you want, Dee."

Personally, I had no attachments for the ceremony whatsoever. I only did because Isabel wanted one and so when she asked that she be the only flower blossoming on that day, she should have it. No light would shine brightly than hers. Had it been within reason, I would have ordered the others to be dressed in rags. Nadia laughed at the idea and my parents were shocked; in the end we agreed on having no one else wear white except my bride.

"I just want to be through with it so everyone will know she belongs to me and I, to her."

Sheryl kissed my cheek and cheered, "I just want you to be happy, hm."

"I will be after we're married."

The only way I could stay in the human world was if I could pass the test: 'Find her reincarnated soul and reaffirm the promise'. It took years until I found Isabel, who had no memories of her previous life and the vow she made to spend her third with me. I was the luckiest when despite that she was still drawn to me.