C H A P T E R 2

HER DRAGON

Cora

Uncle Carl, my father's younger brother, drove the boat to get us across the main island. He was in his early fifties but was still as strong and stubborn as a bull. My parents left me to him when they left for the city permanently. I was an excess baggage they could afford to carry. They never came back for me and the single man was saddled with me in his early years. Fortunately, no one thought me a burden and soon he, too, has found a wife and had sons of his own.

We lived in Isle of Talitha, a two hundred seventy hectare private island owned by an old wealthy altruistic woman named Hana Marquez. Seventy-five percent of the island's soil was suitable for cultivation; trees and plants grow in abundance and supported animal life. The rest were rocky mountain terrains and sandy coast. It was where I spent my youth and continued to live.

My uncle's family and all those sheltered by the island were not only given a place to build and root but also provided with the means to live. Some farmed and raised animals in the richer soil at the center of the island but pearl farming and fishing was our main livelihood. My uncle and cousins work in the pearl farm while I serve as helper under Madam Marquez or Hana, as she would prefer me calling her.

Her old age required great attention to her health but I was not licensed to professionally care for her. She has private caregivers, Rosa and Hector, who were both ten years, my seniors. Both single and good natured, they were welcomed by us when they finally decided to stay in the island for good. Quite frankly, we had our hopes up and prayed they end up together.

As for me, I am twenty-four year old Cora Bennett, the great gopher that specializes in running errands for our benefactor.

"I'll be buying some supplies, too. Call me as soon as you're done and I'll meet you back here," the strong gray haired man waved and set off on his on and left me waiting for a taxi.

My task for the day was to meet with an acquaintance of Hana and give him the signed documents. I have no idea what the envelope in my hand contained for I never broke her trust and peeked on what was not intended for me to read. She valued loyalty above all else and the people who lived under her good grace learned and lived it by heart.

I hailed a taxi to reach the city, never once letting my appreciation of the view deter the purpose of my travel. I could take a look around after I have completed my task. My employer often told me to go and enjoy too during the time away from the island. Like the obedient child I am, I do as told and return with a little something for her.

I wonder what I should get her today.

Mr. Carlos met me by the entrance of the building and escorted me back to his office. I gave him the document and he, in turn, handed me a small box wrapped in brown paper.

"How is Hana?" He poured me a cup of tea and seated himself back on his swivel chair after. "Is she being difficult?"

"No, Ms. Hana..."

He did not let me finish my defense as we both know my employer was stubborn and would defy every doctor's recommendation and that includes having her permanently admitted for better care.

"I have known that woman for years and know her well enough to say it with confidence." He chuckled and put his cup down to open the envelope I brought him. "At least have mercy on this poor old man and tell me she's off her feet and resting instead of walking around the island like a sentinel."

Mr. Carlos and Hana were dear friends. If only Mr. Carlos took into living the island life, Hana would be happier. I sometimes found myself wondering if they would have been together. However, it was useless. No matter how fond he was of her, he ended up marrying a city woman and my employer was left on her own.