C H A P T E R 17

STANDOFF

DYLAN

When the rain started pouring again, Cora and I went back inside to take shelter. Teasing, Nadia eagerly gave up her place for me and I didn't need to be told twice. Knowing the truth, I couldn't bear spending another moment apart. Contented to be with each other, Cora and I retired to her bed, where we hugged like she was holding on for dear life and I for mine. For my part, I wasn't about to let her go.

Spending hours in an intimate embrace was one of the things I missed. Like I used to do, I tenderly watched over her as she peacefully dreamt. Kissing the top of her head, I uttered a prayer of thanks. Grateful that the eternal night I'd been plunged into for centuries would soon be welcoming the first morning. My heart has grown larger than this human chest could contain.

The cold rainy weather caused us to skip breakfast and as I hated to wake her, I let her be for a while. I quietly left Cora's room and found the other two were getting ready to head out. Haliyah, as if Nadia had her on a leash, didn't mind venturing under the rain as they made the trek down. Once they were gone, I began to prepare for lunch.

At a loss on how to work in the small kitchen, I stood unsure for a few minutes. I thought it would be next to impossible but the body did remember. Immediately after holding on to a knife, Dylan's somatic memory was triggered. Grateful that she seemed to be a fantastic cook, I managed to whip up lunch for us in less than two hours without a hitch.

Done with setting the table, I went back in her room to wake her up. Lovingly stroking her cheek, I softly called her so she could eat but she wouldn't stir and when Cora did open her eyes, she wasn't seeing me. It was like she was in a deep trance and her face contorted in pain.

"Cora, wake up!" Hands at her cheeks, I tried to pull her out, "it's just a nightmare."

The same heart that has been joyfully beating just hours ago deflated. Her anguished screams squeezed every vessel dry. I helplessly watched her claw at her skin, pulling at her imaginary tormentor. The blood from her cuts urged me into halting her repeated assaults on her limbs.

But as I was about to do so, she screamed, "it burns!"

I froze.

A frantic Nadia got me out of the way, "you're ok! It's not real, Cora! You're safe! Look at me, free yourself from the memory!"

I was gutted. I always thought that if I was there before, I could have saved her. But I was a fool. In the present, I was just as useless. The mercy of not having known Liway's pain at her dying moments ended. It hit me like a train with infinite coaches attached to it. An immortal dragon couldn't die with that but it made me want to.

"Baku!"

Hearing her calling out for my help, I couldn't just watch and leave everything up to Nadia. Taking Cora in my arms, I ran us out of the house and under the rain. Praying that as she felt the cold water pellets on her skin, she could break away and gain her senses.

"Stay with me, Cora."

But it wasn't enough. Her temperature kept rising. The rain was enough to put the fire in her subconsciousness out. When she fainted, I nearly lost my mind.

Not enough!

I tried to wake her to no avail.

Not enough!

She wouldn't open her eyes.

Not enough!

My knees hit the ground and when I was down, I saw the spring. Gaining strength, I stood again. Careful to keep Cora safe, I carried her into it and slowly sat us down. Our bodies submerged from the neck down, I alternated between massaging her arms and wiping her face with water. Rocking us back and forth, we stayed in the spring until her body cooled.