C H A P T E R 18

FIGHT FOR HER

CORA

Rainy days would always get me sentimental but having people with me in this little house didn't feel so lonely somehow. I usually spend days like these in my uncle's home but we didn't get to head down in time. We were about to leave yesterday before the storm hit but then Dylan appeared and picked a fight with Haliyah.

'They seem to be getting along today though.'

It was the afternoon of the second day of the storm. I was okay staying in but I couldn't tell if they were fine being here because, unlike the houses below, mine didn't have the best amenities. They were born and raised in the city so they would be missing the comfort they were used to. Also, they had to put up with me and I wasn't the best company.

"I'm so sorry you guys had to see me like that," I needed to apologize for spending most of the day cooped inside with no form of entertainment to pass time and for subjecting them to a bizarre episode of a day in my life. "I thought I was getting better because I had not experienced anything for days but, as soon as the weather clears, I promise I'll go get checked."

I knew I had weirded them out. The three of them had been acting strange and alternately kept on stealing glances at me as if I'd suddenly go mental any time. With Nadia coming in second, my mind's counter confirmed Dylan ranked first in giving me the record-high concerned look one could give in a minute. Everyone was tensed. Nadia kept her post by the window near the door, Haliyah on the one to the left, and Dylan, almost stuck to me like a shadow, never stayed more than a meter away.

'What's with Dylan?'

"There's no need to apologize for anything," Haliyah said.

The two had entertained themselves. Not minding the rain, Nadia had gathered so many bamboos outside while Haliyah has cut them up. They said something about building a surprise.

"We're here for you, Cora. We're all your friends," Nadia cleared her throat and added, "well, except Dylan of course. She will not like the idea of being just friends with you now."

The change in the way she acted towards me got me happy but, at the same time, confused. She used to hate my guts but Dylan has changed. I like it but where would it lead? I loved her but I couldn't understand what this thing between us was. I mean, she's engaged to someone but being with me like that–kissing me, and holding me until I fell asleep, it was like she was returning my feelings.

I knew she had someone waiting for her and she would eventually leave me but I wanted to keep her and it's not right.

What exactly were we to each other?

"Thank you," I managed a weak smile at my friend but wasn't too confident to even look Dylan's way. "Would you want some coffee? I'll brew a cup for everyone."

"I'll help you," Dylan offered.

I shook my head, "It's ok. I'll manage."

She looked hurt at my curt rejection but I wanted to distance myself from her so I could think. How ever short that space this house would allow, I could work with it.

And so, I hid in the kitchen.

The coals were a little damp so it took time getting the fire started in the clay stove. I placed the kettle over it and looked for more mugs in the cabinet and found only two. A bigger plate would have to do since I didn't have a tray. I put them on it and smiled. The mugs were just like the four of us–so different from each other. The others I'd have them use but I'd take the one with the broken handle.