C H A P T E R 23

CORA

"How do you know about him?" How could this woman who I had only met know about the man in my dreams?

"Him?" Arrah stared at me confused for second until she had that lightbulb moment, nodded and murmured, "ah, yes. She appeared as a man."

As a man?

The glaring truth finally dawned on me. Somehow I felt it and knew it my heart but only confirmed it in those last moments-those transformations, Dylan was Baku.

"She-he was Dylan," but, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how the two were one. It would remain a mystery and I was left to drown in misery for, "they're both gone."

"Um, yes and no. Yes, the Dylan Mitchell you knew was indeed Baku but the one that died was only Dylan, well, technically, it was Dylan's body without the soul."

"No soul? That would mean-"

"The real Dylan has passed away long since," she affirmed. "That human body, a vessel that cannot regenerate, bore the brunt of the damage as Baku's powers worked against herself-imploded. Sid luckily popped in the nick of time and succeeded unbinding them. Baku will return for you but it'll be difficult to tell when after what happened."

"Baku will come for Liway," I said with budding hope.

"The dragon's heart, was she? I don't know much about her, really," Arrah smiled at me wanly. "Mayari, who took the protection of her people upon her shoulders, always had to do right for others and then curse her lot, I have met but the Liway buried deep within Baku's being, not yet. Probably, never will."

"How do you know of Baku and Liway? Do you read minds? Who's Mayari?" I shook my head clear of the questions piling and demanded, "tell me. With everything I've witnessed, I'm all open to the possibilities of about anything."

"So if I scream of a pig flying, you'd readily believe?" She chuckled at the skepticism etched on my face, "well, not that open? No?"

"Haven't seen one, is all. If you can change into it, then consider me a believer."

"I'm gonna have to disappoint you. Even if I want to, I can't."

Arrah reached for my head. Although I tamped down the impulse to run, I wasn't good enough to repress my fear at the sudden movement.

She pulled her hands back a little and asked for permission, "may I?"

Though I didn't know what exactly I was agreeing to, I nodded once.

I expected to feel the same power she exhibited while healing but nothing. Eyes closed, Arrah just had her hands on both sides of my head. After a while, she opened her eyes and frowned.

"What is it?" I asked, "what was that about?"

"I tried to undo what Nadia did and release you but I think shouldn't," she removed her shaking hands and placed them on her lap.

"Release me? Was I under a spell too?" I asked because if I was, I hoped losing Dylan to those monsters was just a nightmare.

"My daughter suppressed your dreamwalking ability. Releasing you in one go won't do you good."

"Dreamwalking?"

"It's a psychic ability which allows us travel time and realms while we sleep. When I was younger-"

"You are still young."

"Don't be fooled. It doesn't show but as my mate once said and I quote, 'I am twice your age'," she grinned as we heard someone choking on coughs in the background. Arrah spoke at the top of her lungs and addressed Kai, "I'm still bad at math, honey, and I don't keep track. I think I still love you, Ms. Randale."