C H A P T E R 15

THE MAGIC OF THE CENTURY OLD TREE

DYLAN

"A beloved daughter concealed for unlike other demigods and demi goddesses before her, she had no strength that could rival other deities. The only magic that flowed within her body meant to keep her alive. Liway, gifted with her stolen life and protected within her leased days-she was to live until her eyes grow dim and the land recalls her body. She never should have met you, oh the Bakunawa, the harbinger of misfortune."

I received the cursed title without objection because, for once–considering, it a rarity of sorts, Haliyah and I agreed. My beloved, who knew not evils of man nor roused their ire, became the subject of a heinous act. Because someone from her tribe saw us–saw me, she was sentenced to burn.

Punishment? To forcefully enter a home deep in the night when good souls rest. To task half the village's warriors to restrain one woman, terrorized in her own safe space? To have her stand on trial while choking on her gag and the rising fumes from the flames? No, just plain murder.

Leaving Liway to her earthly rest, I returned to that wretched village where its people have been holding a banquet since. Not a remorseful man present nor a single weeping fellow slave, they feasted and drowned themselves in music, food, and pleasure. A man, in his drunken state, boasted of how he had subdued 'the woman who consorted with a snake'.

"It was I who they considered an enemy. I was the outsider. They should have gone after me."

At the datu's home, nobles and esteemed warriors gathered and made merry. The chief's daughter they praised, to the other lady nobles envy. They sang, drank, ate, and drank some more until their airways clogged and their bellies bloated.

When everyone had their fill and the merriment stopped, I executed my kills.

To not just my Liway, I-I have brought misfortune to an entire village.

"The veil between worlds are in place for a reason. Us and humans shouldn't mix. You should've given her up."

"I would have," had been allowed to choose, "if my Liway could..."

My heart ached at the possibilities and the thousands of alternate realities: One where she walked the fields. Another where she laughed and enjoyed fresh mornings, the cool wind, the smell of the land after the first rain. Alone or with someone else, as long as it was one where she lived.

"I shouldn't have met her but I did. She didn't have to end up with me; I would've been contented to see her happy. If she was to live, I would've tucked my own heart in, left, and wiped her memory of me clean."

Be it full of joy or laced with desolation, a past not remembered couldn't hurt.

"The choice was taken from me and another made one too soon."

"Mayari?" she paused when she heard me growl at her when the name her lips were unworthy to utter escaped but then continued, "What reason did you have to stay by her side when you vowed to keep yourself away? Served as the princess she was, Mayari was to live the pampered life Liway didn't. Bulan and I were tasked to watch her and keep her–"

"Keep her safe?" I flung the sheets then jumped at Haliyah, knelt on her arms, and kept her down with my weight, "some protection you were!"

"My duty, ultimately, was to guard Bulan," her voice low, "you sought to harm my liege!"

"She barely suffered under captivity. Sidapa found her as she was since she flew down from the skies-perfect, untainted, unhurt," my hands gripped Haliyah's throat and squeezed, "My Mayari didn't!"