Chapter Twenty-Nine

Your POV

     I cautiously walked over to Bruce and Tony, and looked in the microscope that Bruce motioned me to look at. When I looked in the microscope, I saw lots of large shapes moving around wildly in the dish.

"What are those and what do they mean?" I questioned Bruce as he looked back into the microscope.

"Maggie's blood has an unknown element in it that has a similar chemical makeup to the super soldier serum that Steve and Bucky had. That would explain her cracking the glass." Bruce spoke and I looked at Maggie as she sat on the floor patiently.

"And also why she almost knocked you over." Tony piped up as well.

     I had a mutant dog, how lovely.

"I need to get the adoption papers from Steve, do you know where he adopted her?" Bruce spoke to me and I shook my head.

"Well when did he get her?" Tony spoke as he brought up a holographic computer in front of him.

"Oh gee, I don't know. Maybe the day before Valentine's Day? So the 13th?" I spoke skeptically was Tony pressed some buttons on the screen in front of him.

"Ah-hah. Bingo. He adopted her from the ASPCA Adoption Center at three o'clock, February 13th." Tony spoke matter-of-factly.

"How do you know that?" I asked Tony as I sat on the floor to pet Maggie.

"I tracked his phone." Tony shrugged as he pulled up what looked to be Maggie's adoption papers, and sure enough, the exact date and time that Tony said, was on the document, along with Steve's signature.

     Tony read through the document quickly, and his eyebrows furrowed the further he read.

"It says that she was brought back to the adoption center three times in the last week, past owners complaining about her breaking things..." Tony spoke aloud and I looked at Maggie, snd she had a guilty look on her face.

      It was like she knew what we were saying. She knew that she broke things, it seemed.

"It also says that she weighed nine pounds, two ounces when she left the   Adoption Center......." Bruce spoke up from where he was also skimming over the document.

"Friday, how much has Maggie grown in the past two days?" Tony asked the AI.

"Maggie has gained five pounds and one ounce. She has grown three inches taller since her stay here." The AI spoke.

     All of our eyes widened at this.

"Looks like you have an enhanced puppy on your hands, Y/n." Tony spoke and I sat there on the floor, dumbfounded.

*****

     I spoke to Bruce and Tony for a little bit after we came to the conclusion that Maggie was enhanced, and Bruce told me that I should expect her to grow rapidly. Tony also recommend that I train her as fast as possible, so that she would be easier to handle once she grew.

     None of us knew how big she would get, but nothing surprised us anymore at this point.

      As I took the elevator down to the ground level for the second time today, Maggie sat down in the elevator beside me patiently. I looked down at her and it was like she knew.

"If I'm gonna keep you, you can't break anything, okay? And you can't hurt anyone on the team, but feel free to bite the bad guy's ankles if you see one." I spoke to her and it was like she understood and she let out s little 'ruff' in confirmation.

      As we got out of the elevator, I let Maggie outside through the front doors of the compound, and she immediately ran off into the grass to do her business. I watched her with tired eyes, it being late already.

     Once she was finished, we made our way back to my room, only to realize that I had totally forgot to get my bedding out of the washer to have it dried. I groaned at myself as I walked down the dark hallway, with Maggie in tow. I switched my bedding to the drier and turned it on so that they would be dry in the morning.

     I went back to my room and changed into my sleepwear, my metal legs cool against my fingers as I pulled my drawers on. I yawned as I picked up a clean puppy pad for Maggie, and brought it to Steve's room. I put her puppy pad down in the bathroom, and went and flopped myself down on Steve's bed. I crawled under his covers, with Maggie cuddling up at my feet. With the combination of the smell of Steve all over his sheets, and the soft pillows he had, I was out light a light.

Steve's POV

     As soon as I pulled up into the parking garage at the compound, I got out of my car and drug myself to the elevator. I nodded off in the elevator, but woke myself up just enough to get out of the elevator when it signaled that it was at the floor that my room was on.

     I opened my door quietly, planning to go change and then go join Y/n in her bed, but stopped in my tracks when a ball of fur came running up to me. I ordered Maggie to stay quiet as she jumped at my legs, catching me for guard when I lost my balance for a split second. I blamed my exhaustion and went over to my closet, but stopped short when I saw a figure laying in my bed. I smiled once I recognized the figure, Y/n.

     I didn't even finish my trip to my closet, and just stripped myself down to my boxers and climbed into bed with Y/n. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her to my chest, and I heard her sigh in her sleep. A soft smile adorned my face as I nuzzled my face into the back of her neck.

     It wasn't long before I had drifted off into dreamland, only having sweet dreams that night instead of my occasional nightmare.