ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔽𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟 | newt

NEWT

⋆✤⋆

That evening, Newt carefully watched the slammer. Ever since Thomas came up into the maze, Newt somehow knew that he was special. He reminded him of Rae with his stubbornness, determination, and resilience: qualities he thought only the redhead possessed. While keeping an eye on Thomas, Newt saw Chuck head to the slammer, and after a few minutes, he left.

Inconspicuously, Newt made his way to the slammer and crouched down so he could see Thomas. When Thomas saw Newt's blonde hair through the darkness, he shifted forward out of the shadows that were present in the slammer.

"Newt, what are you doing here?" the brunette questioned.

"Did Chuck give you some food?" Newt asked, sweeping his blonde mess to one side.

Thomas reached behind his back and pulled the piece of bread the young boy gave him a few moments ago, nodding as he did so. "Why would Rae do this? I mean, she gave Minho and I the 'all-clear' and I'm getting punished for it."

Newt sat down in front of the slammer's gate. "I can't speak for her, but I think she knew she was going to make you a runner. But she also had to please Gally. And besides, this is barely a punishment, Thomas. You should've seen what Rae had given Minho the day he got to the Glade." Newt quietly chuckled at the memory of Minho's face when Rae told him he had to clean the animal pens for 2 weeks straight. Thomas watched Newt closely as a small smile appeared on the blonde's face. 

"Do you love her?" Thomas asked out of the blue, causing Newt to snap out of his thoughts.

The question took Newt aback. To cover up his confusion, he cleared his throat and answered, "What do you mean?"

"Rae? Do you love her?"

The blonde boy glanced towards the Homestead where Rae sat with Minho, talking. He watched as she threw her head back and laughed at something Minho had said. Newt remembered the times when he used to make the redhead laugh like that. He wasn't jealous of Minho; why should he be? In the back of his mind, Newt knew that Rae was trying to hide her feelings like she always did. And Newt also knew that the timing wasn't right when he told her how he felt. She was probably overwhelmed with everything that was happening.

Although the two haven't been talking as much, Newt tried his hardest to lessen the burden of being a leader at this time for Rae. Even with his attempts, Rae still ignored him.

"Newt!"

Thomas's voice snapped Newt out of his thoughts and he turned to the Greenie. Did he love her? That was a no brainer. How could he not? She possessed every quality Newt didn't have.

Thomas found his answers in the eyes of the blonde boy. They were filled with desire and lovingness. It was evident the boy was lovesick. But what Thomas wondered the most was how they weren't together already. From the moment he stepped out of the box, the Greenie saw the connection between the two, and he thought they were together. And now, Thomas was going to help Newt.

"You should tell her how you feel," Thomas insisted, shifting back so his back rested against the wall. Newt turned to the Greenie and scoffed.

"Yeah, tried that, mate. Why else do you think she's ignoring me?"

"If there's one thing I know since I've been here, is that you two are meant for each other."

Newt just stared at Thomas. Maybe Thomas was right. They were meant to be together, even if Rae didn't see it just yet. Anyway, Newt stood up and swiped his hands on his jeans. "I feel so stupid for talking about me when you're the one in the slammer. You should get some rest anyway. I heard Minho has plans for you and him tomorrow. Goodnight, Thomas."

~~~

a/n

sorry, issa short chapter, but i did a double update :)

xoxo meg