ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 ℕ𝕚𝕟𝕖 | new girl

NEW GIRL

⋆✤⋆

Thomas and Minho followed Rae to the med bay. She opened the wooden door, letting herself and the two boys in to find Jeff next to the new girl. On their way to the girl's cot, Rae glanced at Alby who was struggling against his bindings, the disease spreading across his chest in black and dark purple tendrils.

Looking the other way and focusing her attention on the unconscious girl in front of her, Rae asked, "Jeff, what's her update?"

"Why won't she wake up?" asked Thomas right after Rae's question, peering over her shoulders before stepping to the side to get a better look.

"Hey man, I got my job the same way you did," Jeff replied.

The girl was sleeping peacefully on one arm as if she had no idea where she was. When she wakes up, she's going to be in for a real surprise, thought Rae. Rae wished she was as innocent as the girl in front of her, but she definitely didn't want her memories erased again. She'll never forgive the people who put her and the rest of them in the maze. If Rae ever saw the people who did, she didn't know how she would react, but she did know it'd be bad.

"Do you recognize her?" Minho asked the Greenie, but he just shook his head as Rae sighed. "Really? Because she seemed to recognize you." At this point, Newt joined the three of them inside. Rae felt Newt's presence behind her, but she ignored the blonde boy. She had more pressing matters to deal with.

Even though Newt joined late, he knew what the conversation was about. The mysterious girl. The second girl he remembered seeing.

Thomas sidestepped the question Minho asked and started a new topic of interest. He was hiding something that he didn't want Minho and Rae to know about. "What about the note?"

Newt was about to answer, but Rae cut him off. "We'll worry about the note later."

"I think you should worry about it now," said Thomas. Rae inhaled loudly and sharply. She didn't want to admit this because Thomas was nice, but she was annoyed at him right now. For a lot of reasons actually. She was annoyed that he thinks he knew how everything worked when it was just his third day. "We've got enough to deal with at the moment."

"He's right, Rae," said Jeff, stepping in after a moment of silence. "If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?" Rae valued Jeff's opinion as she did with everyone else, but she was getting annoyed at everyone right now.

"No one said that," she huffed. "We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody has gotta have some answers around here." With that, Thomas was about to walk out the door when Rae stopped him.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"Back into the maze," Thomas answered and walked out the door. Rae glanced at Minho and nodded at him before he trailed after Thomas. She hoped that Minho would talk him out of doing something irrational.

Now, it was just the two of them. One could cut the tension in the room with a knife. Jeff felt the bitterness in the air and left Rae and Newt so he could attend to Alby. But before Newt could utter out a word, Rae left the blonde boy alone.

~~~

a/n

sorry for the short chapters

xoxo meg