ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 𝕆𝕟𝕖 | two more

TWO MORE

⋆✤⋆

A crack of light burst through the pitch-black veil of darkness when Teresa reached forward, pushing the door open. After everyone's eyes became adjusted to the change in light, the Gladers stepped out from whatever room they were in into a long hallway. At least a dozen thick and thin pipes lined the wall, stretching down the hall. The only light present in the building was the one shining above the group, but as a few seconds passed by, the rest of the lights illuminated like dominos.

Thomas was the first to start down what seemed like a never-ending hallway. Everyone else was quick to follow except Rae. It wasn't that she didn't trust Thomas, but she didn't trust this place. If this was the base of whoever put them in the maze, it could be a trap.

Newt noticed the girl stop, so he waited for her, slipping his hand in hers. "Newt, if this is a trap--" the redhead hesitated, looking into the blonde's chocolate eyes. They were also filled with nervousness, but there was a slight gleam to them that Rae couldn't exactly pin.

"--then we'll fight our way out like we always do," Newt finished. "You're a natural leader, Rae, and I understand that letting Thomas lead the way was a hard choice, but you can trust him."

Rae nodded slightly and they both continued down the hall to where the Gladers were standing in front of a metal door, a small green light blinking on and off as if it were a silent alarm. No one wanted to make the first breakthrough and discover what was past that door, so Rae took it upon herself.

The door swung open with the little force that Rae applied on it to reveal three bodies sprawled across the floor. Splotches of crimson blood dotted their pristine white lab coats as they lay lifeless against the wall. Rae's eyes followed from a gunshot wound from one of the doctors to the room in front of her.

Taking a couple of steps forward, the redhead made her way to the center of the room as the other Gladers slowly followed. In the middle of the room was a metal table that had a smooth flat glass top. Rows of different sized buttons arranged themselves along the side of the table. In rings around the table, many desks were set up.  Each one looked similar, with a glass screen in front, controls below it, and a small rectangular table holding the controls and keyboard.

Most of the equipment was destroyed by some weapon. The metal tables had dents in them and glass pieces littered the floor. But the worst part about the room was the people, the dead scientists spewed across the floor like rag dolls. Although Rae wanted to peel her eyes from the bodies, she couldn't. Some part of her was entranced by the scene. It was as if the universe was punishing the redhead, trying to tell her: death follows you like a shadow.

Luckily, Chuck's voice broke through her thoughts when he said, "What happened here?"

He couldn't have asked a better question.

Besides the bodies, the other thing that caught Rae's eyes was the image presented on one of the glass screens. There, displayed on the screen, was the girl's face. Underneath that, four words were written: 'Subject A8: The Survivor'.

"So they were watching us," said a voice behind Rae's ears that made her slightly flinch. Rae knew that it was Newt's voice by the accent when he whispered, "You look cute."

The redhead scoffed at the picture and the comment, forgetting the fact that they were being watched while in the Maze. "I look like I've been through hell." It was true. Although the picture was a bit dim, the bags under Rae's eyes were prominent in the picture. Her red hair was shaggy and tousled, but not more than the mess on top of her head at the moment. The one thing that was odd was the cut on her cheekbone in the picture.