ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝔼𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 | feelings

FEELINGS

⋆✤⋆

After Jeff took the girl away, Rae felt it was time to finally take a shower. She did spend the night in the maze, sweating and running. Behind the Homestead, there were wooden stalls that were considered shower stalls. Stepping into one, Rae took off her clothes and allowed the cold water to dose her. She scrubbed every part of her body to get rid of all the grime and gunk she accumulated from last night.

After finishing her shower, she redressed and stepped out of the stall. As Rae was walking to the Homestead, Newt caught up with her.

"Hey," he said to which Rae replied with a smile as she continued walking, so Newt continued to follow her.

"Can we talk?" he asked, walking side by side with her now.

"Talk about what?" the redhead questioned. She had an idea of what he wanted to talk about, and truth be told, she didn't want to talk about it.

"I don't know, maybe about what you did yesterday?"

"I mean, I don't know what there is to talk about. We made it out alive."

Before Rae could get any further, Newt grabbed Rae's wrist, turning her around to face him. Rae looked at the blonde, his emotions clear as day as his mouth curled to a low frown. She'd never seen him disappointed in the three years she'd known him. Even though Rae wasn't the type who needed validation from others, seeing Newt's face tugged on her heart. 

"Newt," she let out with a quiet breath. "I did what I had to do. You would do the same."

When Rae said those last five words, you would do the same, Newt's eyebrows drew in frustration. "No, you don't get to do that!" he chastised, lightly tightening his grip on the girl's wrist. Rae hadn't noticed that her mouth was slightly agap at the tone of Newt's voice. "The Gladers need you! need you." His voice softened at his last sentence and he let go of Rae's wrist.

Rae always had a feeling that Newt's previous flirting was just him being... him. But now, he gave Rae what she hoped for. Her heart yearned for him in ways she'd never felt before. She dreamt of him in her sleep. Was this what it was like to be in love? Either way, Rae couldn't admit that to herself. She had a job to do, just like everyone else, and she couldn't be distracted from it.

Looking at the med-bay and then back at Newt, who was waiting for an answer, she finally said, "I can't have this conversation right now, Newt." At those words, Newt's heart broke. The only girl he had ever wanted was right in front of him, rejecting him. "I'm sorry."

 ~~~

a/n

sorry this chapter took so long for me to publish when it's so short (and cute... kinda). i was having major writers block, but it's gone now. hopefully, i'll be back to updating regulary.

xoxo meg