ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕠 | maze

MAZE

MAZE

⋆✤⋆

Chuck led the new boy to the hammocks. He started to set up a faded orange hammock for the newbie as he said, "It's basically the same story for all of us. We wake up in the Box, Rae gives us the tour... then here we are."

"She's the leader?"

"Yeah. She was the first one in here. Hey, Don't worry. You're already doing better than I did." As Chuck rambled on about his first experiences in the Glade, the Greenie took it as an opportunity to explore further, like those big walls. Chuck caught up to him before he could do anything rash.

"Dude, where are you going?" Chuck called out to the curious boy.

"I just wanna see," the Greenie answered, continuing to walk.

"You can look around all you want, but you better not go out there."

"Why not? What's through there?"

"I don't know. I just know what I'm told," Chuck stopped the boy. "And we're not supposed to leave."

The Greenie's eyes wandered back to the opening as two people jogged out of there. A tan Asian boy and a broad blond jogged past the two, the former saying, "Hey, Chuck. New Greenie, huh?"

The blond followed. "How does it feel to be promoted?"

"Feels great, Ben," Chuck said with a thumbs up and a cheeky smile.

"I thought no one was allowed to leave." This Greenie was determined to get answers, even if it meant playing this young boy.

"I said we're not allowed to leave. They're different, they're runners. They know more about the maze than anyone."

"Wait, what? You just said 'maze'."

"I did?"

"Yeah." The Greenie knew that the boy was trying to cover something up, so he took it upon himself to get some answers now. He jogged away from Chuck, closer to the doors.

"Where are you going? What are you doing?" Chuck called out. He was tired of babysitting the Greenie.

"I'm just gonna take a look." The boy slowly approached the opening, a cool air hitting his skin instead of the sun's intense heat.

"I told you, you can't. No one leaves, especially not now. It's not safe."

"Okay, all right, I'm not gonna go."

Before the Greenie could do the opposite of what he just told Chuck, Gally marched up to him, slamming his hands onto the newbie's chest, which sent him flying backward until he hit the ground with his back first. "Hey! We gotta stop meeting like this, Greenie," Gally mocked the boy as he loomed over him.

"Get off me!" The boy scrambled away from Gally onto his feet.

"All right! Calm, calm, calm," Gally assured, with his palms out. His intention wasn't to scare the boy, just to intimidate him.

"Don't touch me!"

"Whoa! Take it easy! Just relax." The racket that the Greenie was making attracted the other Gladers, who all rushed to see what was going on.

"What the hell is wrong with you guys?" the newbie cried out in frustration.

"Just calm down, all right?" said Alby.

"No, okay? Why won't you tell me what's out there?" the Greenie asked Rae.

"We're just trying to protect you. It's for your own good," she answered sternly, hoping the boy would trust her.

"You guys can't just keep me here."

"I can't let you leave."

"Why not?" The silence of no one answering broke when a faint click echoed through the Glade. The Greenie slowly turned around as the maze started to change. A gust of wind from inside the maze whooshed past the other Gladers, causing some of the boys to cover their faces with their hands to avoid dust getting in their eyes. With a heavy thud, the gears of the gate churned slowly and the walls began to close. The Greenie stared in amazement, only to be interrupted by Gally. "Next time, I'm gonna let you leave." The Gladers walked away to get back to their duties.

~~~