ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 𝕋𝕨𝕠 | finally free

FINALLY FREE

⋆✤⋆

Chuck.

Thomas promised he'd help him find his family. Rae told him it'll all be fine. Newt didn't believe in Chuck when he said Rae would make it back. Everyone else teased the boy since he was the youngest. Truth was, they all failed him and Thomas was feeling that pain the most. What kind of a person did that make him when he promised Chuck he would see his parents again? A liar?

Every terrible emotion one could possibly feel weighed heavy on Thomas's shoulders, crushing him to the point where he was wheezing out as he cried out Chuck's. It should've been me, was all Thomas was thinking.

Rae had gotten up from the ground while the boy cried and backed up until she lightly stumbled into a glass screen, her hand covering her mouth as she tried to conceal the hurt.

Everyone was too busy grieving over the kid's death that the only person who noticed the metal door open was Teresa, who was closest to it. People in black gear, like the same ones in the video with Ava Piage, flooded the control room, grabbing at the teens. One man wrapped his gloved hand over Rae's arm, but she snatched it away, calling Thomas's name as he still was sitting next to Chuck's body.

Another guard roughly shoved Newt toward the exit when he wasn't moving, along with the other Gladers. Thomas had blocked out the outside noise that those men didn't faze him until two of them ran toward him, yanking him away from the boy.

The Greenie tried to wiggle out of their grasp, which he managed to do, getting two extra seconds with the kid before he was pulled away from him again and getting dragged away. 

"You can't just leave him there!" the boy pleaded, but the two men ignored his shouts as they dragged him outside.

Rae ran alongside Newt through the last bit of the hallway until they stumbled into the light. Below their feet, sand sunk from the weight of their bodies as the scorching sun shined in the sky like a beacon. The same sun that shone in the Glade felt different when on the outside of the walls. The air felt fresher, cleaner, but the sand flew in every direction. The Gladers had never seen anything like the dunes of sand around them.

A helicopter waited for the teens a couple yards away, it's blades causing the sand to whip around. Teresa jumped in first, then Fry, then Minho, then the others, and Rae and Newt. Thomas was the last one in, and behind him, the door closed.

One of the men dressed in black pulled off his face covering, saying, "You kids all right?" The Gladers gave uneasy glances at one another, but these people seemed friendly. "Don't worry. You're safe now."

The helicopter ascended in the air quickly, the noise getting louder every passing second. It took a while for Rae to register everything that was happening, but when she did realize that they were free, she turned to Newt, who gave her a quirky smile. She looked him in the eye before passionately kissing him. It was mixed with relief and solace and she felt safer than ever before. Luckily for her, Newt wasn't planning on leaving her.

The blonde pulled away and Rae slipped her arm through the crook of his elbow as she leant on his shoulder. The redhead was relieved that the nightmare was over and they can finally go home, if there was a home, but she couldn't help but look at Thomas, who was sitting in front of her.

He stared out the window of the helicopter, tears still stained on his cheeks and his eyes bloodshot. He had his knees pulled up to his chest and had a somber aura to him. Rae put her hand over his that were on his knees as a way to show that she sympathized with him. She knew how much he cared for the boy and Chuck not being there was going to be a ghost that would haunt Thomas forever.

Thomas didn't say anything to the redhead, but he did appreciate her actions. She had Newt, and was glad Thomas had her. There was a comfort in the fact that he had people who cared about him: Teresa, Rae, Newt, Chuck. 

He continued to stare out into the vast sea of sand as the helicopter flew to an unknown destination that the Gladers would hope to call home.

~~~

a/n

holy shit guys. it took me a couple months, but im finally done with book one.
i was debating on whether i should keep chuck alive, but i think his death is rlly important b/c it gives a new reason for why thomas does the things he does and why he thinks the way he thinks. so dont hate me for keeping it canon.

book 2, maze through the scorch, will be up in a few days.

xoxo meg