zero

------- zero ------

------- zero ------

"I'm actually quite excited about this one,"  said the police officer as he looked through the girl's files.

"Do you think, she'll be honest about what happened? For all I know, she likes to talk things pretty,"  told the other one concerned. "We're dealing with a good and experienced liar here."

A blonde girl entered the room, her body all covered in bruises, her hair still tangled and her mood still glum.

------- zero ------

Grace Hart wasn't scared of death. She was more scared to live, or rather to live her life the wrong way, not in her eyes but in others. She cared more about their opinions than her own. She was the most insecure girl in whole Texas, even though most didn't seem to notice it.

To many, Grace Hart was just another blonde bombshell with her ocean eyes, tanned skin and luscious golden hair. Another bubbly cheerleader, top girl even, that every girl wanted to be and every guy wanted to be with.  Another privileged rich white girl from the right side of the town.

In other words, exactly what she wanted people to see in her. But little miss perfect wasn't all what met the eye.

------- zero ------

After Mrs. Hart read about a feminist retreat located in the heavenly scenery of Hawaii, she had to sign up her daughter for it. It seemed like a good idea, like a reward for being such a good girl, taking care of her mother. Yet, the blonde didn't see it as such.

Hawaii was a place Gracie had always wanted to visit, but she didn't want to go there alone. More so she didn't want to leave her mother alone by herself.

Maria Hart was depressed. Life made her sick. Most days, she would spent entirely in bed, too weak to leave the apartment.

The floor would be covered in clothes and used tissues. The air lacked oxygen since Maria rarely ever opened the windows, no desire seeing how the world went on without her. It was Grace helping her make it through the day. It was her cleaning and sweeping their home, making the food and paying the bills.

Although Mrs. Hart claimed not to, she needed her daughter and Grace knew that. And if it weren't for her mother's persuasiveness and her elder brother coming home from college, Grace Hart wouldn't have gone anywhere.

"I'm glad, you're going, Gracie. You truly deserve to go. You've always wanted to go there and who knows maybe you'll even make new friends," spoke the older woman warmly, after Grace told her brother all he needed to know.

"Oh, and Gracie! Would you mind doing me one last favour. Would you go to my wardrobe and and open the top shelf on the right." So the girl did. The only items there were, were her mother's oversized flannel shirt and her see through lace top from the 90s. "You've always told me about how much you wanted to have clothes like those. If you still want them, their all yours."

Immediately, she ran over to her mother, pulling her into a tight hug. "Thank you" she said over and over again, before changing into the white top and putting other one in her trunk. She bid everyone a quick goodbye and then drove with the world's coolest drug dealer, Dot Campbell, to the airport where a private jet was about to take them to paradise.

------- zero ------

"You know shit went down there, real bad actual shit, yet still I don't regret going in the slightest. I'm not meaning to say that I'd do it again anytime soon, just that it wasn't the worst thing ever happening to me," stated the blonde blankly as stared at the two men in front of her, Dr. Faber, a FBI trauma specialist, and Agent Young, another member of the FBI.

"It wasn't?" repeated Dr. Faber after the girl, not quite believing what he had just heard.

"There is no denying that the events were traumatic. We were ten girls stranded on a deserted island, miles away from our homes and families, but also far away from all those expectations. There was a new found freedom. Girls, that would undoubtedly never crossed my path, became my closest friends. I'm glad it was them I spent my time with. In a way, they helped me come true to myself and you know, finally figure out who I really am. But like I already said, though it had its moments, I hope I'll never have to go through that shit ever again."

She stopped and looked down for a few seconds, trying to compose herself, before once again directing her full attention at the two men. "I suppose, you want me to tell you about those moments?" she queried.

------- zero ------

written: 2nd January, 2021