three

------ three ------

------ three ------

Chaos was what blinded them. In the middle of it none but Leah had realised that the Asian girl was just taking her last breaths, before her body hit the cool ground, she would never rise from again. She was forever gone.

------ three ------

"Have you ever seen a dead body?" asked the blonde, not even giving them a chance to answer her question. "I mean, I suppose you have. You work for the FBI after all. How silly of me to ask."

"No, not at all. Please go on," reassured her Dr. Faber. They were trying to make her feel comfortable and safe, she knew that. They needed the information she had and they were obvious to the fact that the girl was more likely to cooperate if she felt comfortable, especially when she talked about those moments, the ones that kept her up at night.

"I have always thought the more dead bodies I'd see, the less I would feel. That somehow the first time was the worst. That the next time wouldn't be so bad because I already knew what was awaiting me. Oh, how wrong I was," she spoke. Grace suddenly stopped, taking a long breath and closing her eyes to calm down and focus once more.

"Jeanette died of internal bleeding. By the time she was dead, most of her stomach was dark blue. The rest of her was deathly pale. There was blood coming out of her mouth.  I didn't even notice she was dying, although it happened right next to me. I'm still asking myself if I could have prevented her death, had I paid more attention to her."

Dean Young was the one comforting her now, saying that Jeanette's death was a terrible tragedy and that there would have been no way for Grace to save her.

"It's weird though. Don't you think?" she queried, after a moment of silence, earning only confused looks from the two mean. "That only Jeanette had been severely injured after what had happened. The rest of us had only suffered from a few minor scratches and wounds. I mean, what are the odds?"

------ three ------

The girls carried Jeanette in a blanket, all together, even Martha, who couldn't yet walk properly. It was dawn, the night was coming closer, and the sky was painted in the utmost beautiful colours, there were blues, purples, oranges and golds. It was a melancholy sky for a melancholy evening.

She was buried in the dark. The moon was already high up and the sun long gone. Jeanette was buried at the beach, near the ocean, far away enough from camp, so it wouldn't get them unwanted attention.

"I don't get why we have to bury her. They're gonna come for us soon. Then we'll have to dig her right back up," Rachel argued as they slowly let Jeanette's body into the shallow grave, they had dug for her. Rachel was still convinced they'd come for them soon, that they all would be rescued and then suddenly everything would be back to where it had been before.