six

------ six ------

------ six ------

Grace just shrugged. What was it between the two of them? What was there ever between the two of them? The girl herself didn't have a clue. She knew that she really liked Shelby and that Shelby liked her back. She also knew that the blonde broke heart. However, she didn't know where they stood.

"It's complicated."

"Let me guess," started Toni. "You've known each other ever since you were like four years old because your dads golf together or play tennis maybe. So they figured you two would be, like. 'worthy' of each other's time. And for the next ten years, you were super close, went to the same church camp and all that shit. But then, she ripped your favourite jeans... or wait... was it a boy?"

A humourless laugh left the blonde's pink lips. Of course, the girl would think something like that. She wouldn't just abandon all prejudice she had held against Grace on from the beginning. "Yeah, you got me, Toni Shalifoe," the cheerleader remarked sarcastically "I broke up with my best friend because of a pair of ripped jeans." What interesting way to phrase it.

Toni stared at her in silence, taking her time to at least try to figure the girl out this time. It was of no use. Grace Hart remained a mystery. Not for long though.

"Well," the blonde sighed. "I've met Shelby when I was six and a quarter, and that was because our dads went hunting together, not golfing. When we were older they took us with them once and Shelby excelled at it, even shooting a rabbit or two, whilst I, the delicate indoor princess I am," she stressed out that last part "turned out to be completely useless at it. I cried for most of the time, after the first animal was shot." She did not know why she even told the brunette her story. Maybe, she just wanted to be heard, possibly even understood.

Slowly she turned to look at the brunette beside her, before going back to staring at the sea. "I'm not exactly fond of death."

Toni studied her features: The way her ocean eyes filled with tears, she'd never release, and her quivering lips, and her breath that shook lightly, yet somehow still remained strong and steady.

"Me neither," she finally said.

------ flashback------

"Hey, gorgeous!" Grace said as she surprised Shelby, leaning next to her locker. It was the day after their sweet kiss. The cheerleader was eager for the next one.

But the night had long passed, and so had Shelby's feelings. She was reserved, cold almost. And quick to ignore what had happened between them. She was in a hurry, she'd say, not having any time for this, not having any time for them.

After first period, Shelby had to study for history. After second, it was Andrew that needed her help. After fourth, she had to ask their math teacher about something 'very important'. And after fifth, Shelby had caught the flu.