nineteen

------ nineteen ------

"You know I'm gonna deny this to the day I die, but...I'm gonna miss the shit out of you guys. And if you're ever in L.A., you got a place to crash," Fatin proclaimed, resting her head on Leah. Despite their rocky start the two girls had grown close, forming a strong bond.

"Wait. You're not moving back to the Bay?" Leah quirked her eyebrow.

"Yeah--no. No, I have this whole life mapped out. I'm gonna go to L.A. and cash in this heinous watch, get an apartment at 1600 Vine, where all the influencers live," she explained to the group, whilst Grace - in her stoned state - drew little hearts in the sand. 'T&G' she wrote in them. She was unaware of a certain brunette smiling at her.

"No idea what any of that means, but if you're looking for a roommate...I might be interested." Dot began. The girl wouldn't be Grace's neighbour forever, the blonde had been aware of that. But the thought of Dot leaving her behind in Texas, pained her a little. Regardless, Fatin flashed the brunette a big smile.

"Dorothy. Are you offering to be my live-in muscle? Yes. Obviously, yes. People are gonna assume that we're lovers, because, let's face it, those cargo shorts still scream "gay"."

"And you're gonna love it?" The cheerleader looked up from her painting to the raven haired girl. Her words were slurred. It was her first blind date with marijuana.

"See, my girl Grace knows me well."

"It's not our uniform, you know. We've all got our own different different swag," Toni interfered. Her gaze met the blonde who was rolling around in the sand like her life depended on it.

"I know, I'm just saying...people are gonna talk and I'm gonna like it." Then, Fatin and Dot began 'making inappropriate gestures' as Shelby would have put it. Toni looked unimpressed, but instead of Grace her eyes found Shelby. The girl grew pale.

"Okay. Hey, campers." She chuckled awkwardly. At that moment, all the pageant queen wanted to do was run. It was her natural reflex. When she kissed Grace, she ran. It wasn't any different with Becca. But most and for all, the blonde was running from herself. She would run till her feet gave up and her body hit the floor. "I b--what--what do you say that I do what I do best and suggest some fucking games."

Grace looked at the group, waiting for something to happen. When no one stirred, she took it upon herself to let out a loud 'whoo'. Soon the others joined in.

"To the water." Shelby pointed at the ocean. The girls took off their clothes and ran into the shallow water. Fatin fell into the sand in an attempt to get rid of her pants. Due to her injured leg,  Grace stayed behind, beaming at the scene. She liked to see her friends happy.

They were enjoying themselves, starting a water fight. For the first time in weeks they had let go of their worries and were just teenagers again. And it should have stayed that way. Grace prayed to hear the engines of another plane to take them home to a better future.