fourteen

------ fourteen ------

TW: mentioning of suicide

------ fourteen ------

"You're not being faire," Grace shouted as she approached the girl who had stormed off earlier. At this point, this had become normality. Whenever Toni had one of her moments, the blonde would go after her, making sure that she was okay and not alone with her anger. Not even Fatin could keep Grace from following her. Just in some times people need space.

All Toni wanted to be was alone. She wanted to stare at the waves that were going back and forth, creating white noise. It was a beautiful silence, Grace had interrupted. So Toni turned around to look at her, giving her a challenging look, raising her eyebrow to ask her how she came to that conclusion.

"She didn't mean it like that," the blonde began, earning a scoff from the other girl. "That wasn't Shelby talking, that was our town in Texas, that was church, that was her parents, but that was not Shelby, okay? So stop being pissed at her! Blame our environment. She's just scared."

It was hard for Toni to believe that the girl wasn't taking her side on this. For all she knew, Shelby hadn't just insulted her with her 'beliefs'. "Why are you even defending her?" Toni laughed while shaking her head, having had enough of their talk already.

Her question was followed by a short silence, accompanied by the never-ending sound of the waves crushing at the shore. "I don't know," she shrugged, her voice quivering. But she knew exactly why that was, not that she would ever tell anyone. It wasn't her place to. Even if that meant Toni would be unsatisfied with her answer and angry with her.

"She doesn't have it easy either," her voice was a mere whisper then, while she searched for approval in Toni's brown eyes. Yet she found none of it.

The brunette walked towards her, stopping only a few inches before the cheerleader. "What? Does her daddy not want to buy her a new car or is it the dress for another pageant? Should I be sorry for her because her boyfriend is so obviously cheating on her? Do you want me to pity h-"

With that Grace snapped. Now, she was as angry with the girl, who stood in front of her, as she was with her. "Would you stop that!" she cried out of the blue. "Just because her life seems to be more put together than yours, doesn't have any problems. Yes, Shelby is from a well-off family and, yes, she is privileged, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't face any battles of her own. I know that you've had it harder in life. However you shouldn't just dismiss other people's problems."

"I'm not doing that. I just don't get you," said the girl, holding up her hands in defence. "Look, maybe we're too different. We come from two completely different worlds. You're friends with girls like Shelby. Maybe, this - whatever this is - isn't working out for us." By then, Grace couldn't tell what the girl felt anymore. She didn't know whether she was hurt, mad or if she didn't care at all, which was weird since Toni usually was an open book when it came to her emotions.