Chapter One: New Life

The alarm clock from his phone wouldn't shut up; therefore, Dakota threw it across the room. He pressed the button that made it shut up, yet there it was, blaring its annoying ringtone at him in a repetitive ear-splitting fog horn that made him wish he was in hell.

A knock sounded over the fog horn- one that came from his door. Couldn't he just lay in self-pity and morning anger without being disturbed?

"Papa said it's time to come eat breakfast. He said you need to eat before you leave." 

Papa was a hypocrite, thought Dakota before he groaned loudly and jumped out of his soft bed. He used to be a morning person- back when he slept on the streets a year ago. But now that he had a comforting, warm bed in a warm mansion with breakfast waiting for him downstairs at any time? He'd rather savor his sleep while it lasted.

He got dressed but decided to wait on brushing his teeth until after breakfast. He checked his reflection in the mirror noticing his slowly fading green bangs needed to be dyed again. He sighed. He looked awful.

"DAKOTA!" a voice yelled, and Dakota rolled his eyes. Exiting his room, he walked down a corridor to the giant kitchen- which opened into a giant living room. At the stove was his father- Nick Moore- who was more like a father/mother hybrid.

The television was blaring, and Nick scolded the younger kids to turn it down.

"Hey, Mom," Dakota addressed Nick, who smiled- as he always did when he heard Dakota call him that- "What are you cooking?"

"Eggs. Bacon," he listed, "And for today-" he smiled and paused with suspense- "Muffins!"

Nick loved to bake, particularly sweet things. In fact, if his other father allowed Nick to get a job, he would be an astounding baker. 

"You should convince Xavier to give you a job," Dakota voiced, but his mom rolled his eyes in response, "I'm serious."

"I know," Mom replied, looking up at his son, "But you know your father...and how he is."

"Is he at work already?" Dakota asked, noticing Xavier's absence, "It's seven A.M."

Nick pursed his lips and shook his head, as if he was wondering the same thing. He took the scrambled eggs off the stove and got the oven mits from a hook next to the oven.

"Your father is a very busy man, I guess," Nick brought out the muffins- which smelled heavenly- "Especially here recently. I hate that he's running himself around so much. You know what he needs? A nice vacation."

"You need it more than, Xavier," Dakota examined the room. The twins- Jason and Jordon- were hitting the terrible twos at the same time, and were always getting up to mischief. Well, at least, Jason was; Jason stole all of Jordon's energy from the womb- which meant Jordon was always lounging around being lazy, while Jason cried and screamed and begged for attention. Currently, Jason was trying to climb up the kitchen counter- when Avil plucked the two-year-old off of the drawer he was climbing. 

Avil was his younger brother, who acted as if he was the eldest. He was the first one to ever get adopted by Nick, therefore he knew everything. Avil was only one year younger than him, but he was around the same height as their adopted mother. And he adored the art of makeup, like James Charles except with less 'sisters' and more 'brothers.'

He had a dramatic makeup look today- one that Dakota couldn't even describe because it was so complex. 

Avil dropped Jason on the floor, and the kid- unphased- ran over to his twin brother to annoy him some more.