Eighteen

"What did you guys talk about that night?" I was back in my comfy oversized chair with Charlotte standing behind me. I was helping her undo everything she did with my hair earlier. She decided that she didn't like it and wanted to do it over. "You never told me."

"You, of course." Charlotte pulled some pins from my hair. "What else would we talk about? We'd just met and didn't have anything in common yet other than you."

"Oh geez. I can only imagine." I began to unravel a tiny braid.

Charlotte chuckled. "You say that like I dropped some deep dark secrets about you. I mainly just pulled the typical question of what his intentions were with my best friend."

I smirked and looked at her through the mirror. "And what did he say?"

"The typical sticky-sweet responses." Charlotte tugged at a twisted section of my hair. "But ultimately, he said that he'd hoped to make you the happiest you've ever been because you had already done that for him."

I looked down as I smiled, starting to work on another braid.

Jin would say that. He still says that. He tells me all the time about how happy and lucky he is. He even said it in the note that he'd included with the earrings he'd dropped off earlier. And everything he says about how happy I make him is true about how happy he makes me too.

Charlotte combed her fingers through my hair. "He also asked how we met and all of that stuff. He wanted to know about our friendship and asked some questions to learn more about me."

"He liked you a lot, you know." I set my small handful of hair pins down on the armrest. "He didn't go into detail about his conversation with you that night, but he did mention that he thought you're a sincere and genuine person, and he could see why you're my best friend."

"And I saw right away why you liked him so much." Charlotte's hands settled on my shoulders. "He's sweet and kind and super silly, amongst many other things. And the way he looked at you from across the room...it was obvious that he loves you. I could see it in his eyes."

I could feel my cheeks getting warmer. "We hadn't even known each other for two months at that point."

"That's true, and it didn't matter." Charlotte leaned down and wrapped her arms around my shoulders. She smiled as she looked at me and gave me a gentle squeeze. "Twin flames, remember?"

...............

Sunday came and went and it was now Monday, Jin's last day in town. Charlotte left to go home the day before and everyone made sure to tell me how great they thought she is. As expected, they said that she is welcome to come and hang out anytime.

It was another early morning, but their schedule wasn't as packed as the other days were. The company wanted to make their last day a little shorter so they had time to rest before having to leave the next day. Of course, that made everyone happy, including me, because it meant enjoying more quiet time with Jin than I'd originally thought.

We got back to the hotel in the early evening and took a shower while we waited for our dinner to arrive. Just like last time, I tried to push away the thoughts of having to say goodbye to him again. Jin tried to remain upbeat but I could tell that he was feeling a bit down. It was easier for me since I knew that I'd be seeing him a lot sooner than he did. The plane ticket was already booked and everything.

I can't tell you how many times I almost spilled that secret. He thought that he wouldn't see me again until sometime after the first of the year when I would actually be showing up at his door on his birthday in three and a half weeks. Keeping that secret was equal parts exciting and excruciating, but I knew that the look on his face when he sees me will be more than worth it.