ℂ ℍ 𝔸 ℙ 𝕋 𝔼 ℝ ℕ 𝕀 ℕ 𝔼

C H A P T E R  N I N E

It was Monday and Midtown High was celebrating its victory at the championship in D.C.. Camryn and the others had recovered from the incident at the Washington Memorial, but they were all curious as to what Spiderman was doing there so far from Queens. Camryn couldn't stop thinking about it. First, Peter didn't show up to nationals even though he was at the hotel the night before. Second, Ned told her it was that Peter had to go home for an "emergency". And lastly, Spiderman shows up out of the blue just in time to catch the elevator. It didn't sit right with her.

Nothing about Spiderman sat right with her.

"Up next: the Spider-Man mania is sweeping the school. How can you show your spider spirit?" Betty announced on the school's TV News Weekly.

Peter was walking down the halls, happy that everyone was raving about how Spiderman saved the students from Midtown High in Queens. His alter-ego became popular, and for him, that was enough.

Peter walked down the stairs to the second floor on his way to his locker. He kept walking until he was stopped by Ned.

"What's it like being famous when no one knows it's you?" Ned asked curiously.

"Crazy dude," Peter exclaimed. Ned looked almost excited, "should we tell everyone?"

Peter gave him a look of disbelief, "what? No."

"Should I tell someone?"

"No dude, that's not a good idea."

"You know how much trouble you're in for ditching the decathlon?" Ned asked him.

Peter ignored him, "dude, I figured it out. The wing suit guy is stealing from the D.O.D.C.. What he takes from them, that's how he builds the weapons. All I have to do is find him."

"But we have a Spanish quiz," Ned exclaimed.

"I'm probably not gonna be here anymore. The Avengers are moving upstate," Peter told him excitedly. Ned gave him a sad look, "you're gonna be a high school dropout?"

Peter shrugged, "I'm way beyond this now, dude."

Peter went to go to the bottom floor until he was stopped by Principal Morita.

"Peter, my office. Now."

It was after school and Camryn was on her way from leaving her locker and going home. She was walking down the empty hall when she saw Peter rush past her, who was on his way from ditching detention.

"Peter!" she called. He turned around but didn't say anything.

"What happened to you at the decathlon?" Camryn asked in disbelief, "did you just not want to compete?"

Peter shook his head, "n-no. I had to come back for... a family emergency."

Camryn glared as she walked towards Peter. She looked up at him and whispered, "how dumb do you think I am?"

Peter gulped as he shook his head nervously, "w-what? I don't think you're dumb-"

"Then why are you lying?" she demanded.

"I-I uh... really need to go," Peter stammered before taking off. Camryn's harsh gaze softened as she looked at him with confusion. Any doubt that she had that he was hiding something was gone now. She didn't know what it was that he was hiding, but she would find out. One way or another.

Camryn went home later and met with her parents, who were excited to hear about her day. She told them everything except for the conversation she had with Peter, or lack of one. She put her stuff away and had dinner with her family, which her parents tried to make more of an effort to do. Especially since the last two months were very difficult for the Fosters.