Chapter 20

"Well, it's about time you came home. It is past 10, and I believe your curfew is 9:30pm." My mom greeted me as soon as I entered the family room.

"Sorry, there was traffic." I twisted the truth, "You know, from that concert tonight."

"Anyways, why did you go on a date with James when you are dating Louis?" My mom questioned me.

"It wasn't a date, mom, I was at Jack's playing in the billiards competition tonight. They have one each week." I tried to explain.

"Oh, if that was the case, then why didn't you ask?" My mom demanded.

"Well, I thought we had cancelled the plans after we broke up, but they have a 'no refund' policy. So, he had the passes and didn't want them to go to waste. James messaged me an hour earlier, telling me that if I had nothing to do, we could go there. I was bored so I agreed and we just went as competitors. I told him I needed to be home by curfew, so he dropped out and gave me a ride home." I explained to her.

"Alright, then you're off the hook, but next time, please just explain to me before you get dressed." My mom was letting me off, "Okay?"

I nodded, before saying "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Y/N." My mom said back.

My dad hadn't said a word to me since I had gotten back. I decided I would be the one to break the silence.

"Goodnight dad." I tried

"Goodnight." He replied coldly.

Great, what had I done now? Fine, two can play this game. I went upstairs into my room. I heard my parents turn off the tv and make their way upstairs. I went to the bathroom and got myself ready for bed.

I decided it would be best if I tried to relax a bit before going to sleep because I need my beauty sleep. I went to my bookshelf above my desk and pulled out a book. It was one of my favourites. I read a few chapters cuddled in the blanket. I put the book back before snuggling back in. I closed my eyes, reflecting on my day. My lips curled into a small and genuine smile without wanting to. It wasn't long before everything went black.

___________________________

I woke up, feeling tense. What was I thinking last night? I checked my phone: it was past noon and I had lots of notifications. I had two missed calls and 11 messages from Louis, 27 messages from James, a couple notifications from my friends and five messages from my parents.

I read all of my messages and then replied to them. I got dressed quickly and then sat down on my bed. I took a deep breath before calling Louis back. I was feeling guilt and regret mixed into one. The phone rang twice before Louis picked up.

"Hey, Louis! Sorry I was sleeping." I immediately spoke.

I waited 30 seconds. There was no response.

"Hello? Are you there?" I asked.

"Hi." Louis gruffly answered.

"What's wrong? Is everything alright?" I started worrying.

"Ask yourself that." Louis replied.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said defensively.

"You'll know exactly what it means after you explain this picture to me first!" Louis snapped at me.

Woah! What was up with him? I received a picture message from him. It was a picture of me hugging James, that I'm guessing was taken the other day when he had come over to mow the lawn.

"It's not what you think! He just randomly hugged me when he was leaving!" I tried to explain.

"Even if it was true, WHY WAS HE EVEN AT YOUR HOUSE?" Louis half yelled.