Chapter 23

There's only three days left until university starts. I am definitely not going to any sorority/frat parties this year. It's my final year and all but I've had enough partying last week. I'm sure It would be better if I avoided it anyways. I was thinking of talking to Louis today since we both had time to calm down. Even though I still am hurt and upset by the way that things had played out, I have to accept reality. We just weren't meant to be. At least we still had our friendship.

I pulled out my new set of notebooks and matching binders, labelling them according to their colour. This year math was going to be green, chemistry was going to be white, history was going to be blue, English was going to be pink and so on.

After an hour, I was done so I started to sort out my pencil case, which took a couple of minutes. I wanted to buy a proper schoolbag this year, so I drove to the store. Jamming to Stitches by Shawn Mendes, I got there in a few minutes. Unfortunately, it was packed with last-minute shoppers like me. I navigated my way through the store after I entered and got a cart.

After half an hour of browsing, I was stuck between one bag in two colours: pink and white. Since I am bad at decisions, without thinking twice, I texted the one person who always helped me with my decisions.

Me: 'Hey, I can't decide which bag to buy. Can you help me?'

Within a minute I received a reply.

Louis: 'As always. Send me pictures of both of the bags'

I sent him a picture of each bag. I examined both of the bags as I waited for Louis to respond. After two minutes, my phone buzzed in my bag.

Louis: 'The white one for sure!'

Me: 'Okay, thanks.'

Louis: 'No problem:)'

I put the white bag in my cart and went to the checkout to pay. I quickly paid and walked out of the store before one of my old friends recognized me.

I walked into the parking lot, trying to recall where I parked until I saw my car. Just as I was about to open the trunk, I heard an all too familiar voice.

"Y/N!" The voice called as I turned around to face the owner of the voice, "Hey, Y/N!"

"Hi Mindy!" I greeted her before gesturing to the six-foot-tall hunk beside her, "Who is the hottie?"

I looked up at his face trying to recognize him, but had no such luck.

The stranger grinned before introducing himself, "Do I really look that different? It's me, Hunter."

I looked him up and down before smiling back, "Wow, I thought you were her boyfriend!"

"Ew," Mindy wrinkled her nose in disgust, "No, just no."

I laughed along with Hunter. It was a lot to take in since he looked so different now. I looked up at his face again, shaking my head.

"You don't look too bad yourself." Hunter jokingly complimented me.

"Ignore him. So how have you been?" Mindy tried to make conversation, "And what about that hunk of a best friend of yours?"

I laughed before replying, "I'm good and Louis is also doing well. What about you two?"

"We're doing good too. How about a dinner date tomorrow night? I'll pick you up at 7." Hunter confidently proposed.

"Dude, layoff!" Mindy glared at Hunter before turning back to me, "Anyways, we have to get going now, but it was nice to see you again. We should catch up soon."

"Yeah," I agreed, "Maybe around break."

"Goodbye!" She waved as she turned to leave.

"Bye!" I waved back.

"Bye Hot Stuff, call me!" Hunter yelled with a smirk before Mindy pulled him along.

"Later, maybe I will!" I jokingly played along.

I put my new schoolbag in the trunk before getting into the driver's seat. I drove home with a smile on my face. Louis didn't ignore me; he actually replied to my message. Though I knew in the back of my head that he would, there was still the worry that he wouldn't.

When I got home, I took my new schoolbag upstairs. I put it on my bed beside me as I called Louis to fill him in. He picked up on the first tone.

"Hello?" He answered my call.

"Hi Louis!" I greeted him.

"Y/N! How's it been?" He asked.

I smiled before replying to him, "Guess who I saw at the store today!"

"Carrotman? I don't know!" He tried.

"Mindy! And guess who else was there!" I continued.

"Harriet?" He questioned.

I laughed as I answered, "No, I don't even know a Harriet! Hunter, Mindy's younger brother!"

"Okay," He chuckled, "What's so surprising?"

"I didn't even recognize Hunter!" I exclaimed, "I thought he was Mindy's boyfriend, literally! Hunter looked attractive. He's no more that short boy we used to tease."

"Aww, he was so adorable when he would get mad." Louis recalled.

"Yeah. Anyways, how's the tour?" I changed the subject.

"It's good. I'll tell you all about it when I get back though." Louis reminded me.

"Right. Well then, enjoy! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks." I said.

"Same. Goodbye, Y/N!" He ended the conversation.

I replied, "Bye!"

I laid down on my bed, thinking. At least we still were best friends. It's better than nothing. Either way, I needed to pull myself together since university was to start soon.

***A/N: Sadly, this story is coming to an end. There is going to be one more chapter and then a few epilogues. Also, the pictures of the characters are on chapters 2, 20, 22, 23. The last one will be on the next chapter.***