chapter eight

-Jane Fox's POV-

This afternoon was our first playoff game against the Tigers. So after school, I hurried home to change. I throw on light grey leggings and Adam's navy blue hawks sweatshirt, I still haven't given back. My dad and brother are the only ones coming to my game. Usually, we give Adam a ride to games on Thursday. Both of his parents work late that day. But, Phillip Banks is going to make one of his very few visits to Adam games. Vincent had already taken my hockey bag into the car. Stopping by the door, I rush to put on my Air Jordans. If you haven't guessed already, I'm late. But, this time it wasn't my fault. Miss. Hadley gave me detention for rolling my eyes at Alex.

      I push open the locker room door, and see Adam with his head in his hands. "Hey Addy, what's wrong?", I run over to him. "Well you know how my dad is coming to this game. He was telling me all of his expectations for me. For example, I should  score more than 8 this game because they are #4 in the rankings. He didn't compare me to Jaden.", Adam rants. "Well that's good, right?", I cut him off, thinking he was done talking. "I'm not finished. He didn't compare me to Jaden cause he was too busy comparing me to you.".

     The room goes silent. Well to be fair, it was only me and Adam in the locker room. The other boys were in the lobby eating a snack. This was awkward.
"I'm sorry Ad. I've been holding you back by hogging the puck. I'm sorry, I was only thinking of myself when I should be thinking of you and the team.", I sit on the bench across from him. "Janie! This isn't your fault. You're the best player in this league, and I have accepted that. But obviously my father hasn't. If you weren't on this team, we would definitely lose.", I stand up and give him a side hug. "Bansy, you are literally one of the best players in the league. Don't sell yourself short. Let's be fair, without either of us. The Hawks would lose. We carry this damn team, scoring 80 percent of this goals.", I high five him.

      Our whole team is ready and we are waiting in the locker room for assistant coach Mark to bring us up to the ice. I have no doubts that we are going to win this game but I'm still nervous. "Let's go win this thing boys!", Mark yells running into the room. Quickly catching my glare, he adds, "And our star princess, Jane Fox.". "Nice save.", I mumble to Adam making him quietly laugh.

      About half way through our warmups, I notice the ducks coach and some other guy walking into the rink. I watch as they come onto the ice and go straight up to coach Reilly. "What do you think that's  about?", I ask Adam skating up behind him. "Who knows. We gotta focus Janie. You take this next shot.", he's says pointing to puck in front of him. Just as I hit the puck, coach Reilly yells
for me and Adam. The puck ends up hitting the glass, causing a small crack.

      As I skate over there, I take of my helmet to see Phillip Banks, and my dad walking into the bench. I stop right next to Adam, who is just as confused as I am. "Which one is parent of which child?", a man with glasses asks. "I'm Joshua Fox, the girls father.", my dad states pointing to me. "Joshua, is your address 452 North Hennepin Avenue.", my father nods as the man turns to Phillip, "And you are 450 North Hennepin Avenue?". "Yes." "Than, I'm afraid there is no mistake. These two kids are playing for the wrong team.", glasses explains. My eyes go wide as does Adam's eye. "What?", Adam and I exclaim at the same time causing us to look at each other shocked. "According to league rules, Adam Banks and Jane Fox should be playing for District Five."

      I stand there with my mouth wide open when Adam grabs my wrist. "My son is a hawk, not a duck.", Phillip Banks spats. Dad and I make eye contact and I just shrug. He knows I have friends on that team. Even though, I love the Ducks. I don't want to be on their team, I have played for the hawks for so long. They are my teammates and I don't want to leave them without me or Adam, there main goal sources, right before the playoffs.