Chapter 12: Secrets of Fear

September 21,2021- September 26,2021

"No matter how strong your security system is, there'll always be a thief lying around. A thief that lives in your conscious. That is, fear."

•ARYN•

ARYN

I stood up with tightened fists and bulging veins.

"What? Do you hear what you're saying? What are we here for then! I remember very well you saying we're some protectors. But now, you're saying it very causally that the world will end!" I exclaimed

"We should at least maintain life for five more years. But, radiation and gamma rays will reach Earth, and it will boil it. The only way to save it is to find a way to cover the entire Earth with the Purple Aurora Rocks to absorb that amount of radiation. For that, we're going to need to manufacture about 510 rocks and release them in 6 months,"

"Why six months? We have five years for that supernova you're talking about, "I said

"Well, I was going to talk about that later since it's a bit advanced, but you're bound to know it anyway. Lumini is a liquid placed at the core of the rocks. It is the most essential part of the rock. Unfortunately, the substance is so potent that it destroys the rocks within six months upon exposure to radiation."

I looked at him with my eyes full of confusion.

A sense of guilt embraced curiosity in a rollercoaster of feelings. Everything was to vanish in five years as if it had never been there. Silence dominated as I gazed at only a fraction of what we're to lose.

"This is a very complicated matter, but all the details are written in chapter four of the book, titled Rocks Manufacturing. And also chapter three, contains what the researchers are aiming for. As for now, we're going to move to the rules you have to follow,"

His tone still maintained casualty, as if he was explaining another event- another day on Earth. Breathing heavily, I sat down again. In five years, oceans will be a forgotten past. Water will leave them in the blank air without looking back. The last thing humans will ever remember is their inevitable death and the radiation penetrating through their skin and taking their souls mercilessly in five years.

"Louis, I- I can't continue listening to this. I'll go to my dorm and read the chapters you told me about. Otherwise, you can't expect me to focus on anything you say."

Before waiting for his answer, I handed him his book and walked away. After reaching my dorm, I took out Devlin's copy that she gave earlier and placed it on the wooden desk with a solid determination. Unexpectedly, there were a notebook and two pencils in one of the drawers. Taking a deep breath, I sat on the brown chair and turned on the yellow lights.

I flipped through the sharp edges, eventually reaching the fourth chapter. The section was over a hundred pages explaining the process of rock building and the elements involved. As my eyes grew tired every second, it was harder to focus on the crippled pages. Thus, a cup of coffee accompanied my right hand, and I resumed reading and recording in my notebook, hoping to find some answers.