Chapter 7: Wisdom of the Darkness

September 19,2020- September 18,2021

"Seek wisdom when you are alone with the moon. Knowledge is a double-sided sword. If used wisely, it can prove fatal to every corruption."

•ARYN•

I couldn't respond

I couldn't respond. As a young child, my only wish was for them to come back and tuck me into bed. I would look for them during cold rainy nights, but they were never there. I always wanted revenge for those wonderful times they took away, and for all the times, they forced me to be independent. But when the time finally came, everything I planned to say suddenly disappeared.

"Now that I'm hopeless and in prison, you decided to call!" I answered with tears.

"No, Aryn listen please-"

"Listen to what exactly! You left me a young child with my ruthless Uncle. When I graduated and finally had a job, you called me to ask for money. I waited for months and years. And at last, you send a stupid letter!"

I recalled how Uncle William always reminded me that I wasn't his child. I was a victim to his punches and kicks for something I didn't choose, nor could control. With the innocence of a ten-year-old girl, I would only silently cry in the rose garden, which Aunt Olivia grew, trying to ignore the humiliation and insults of Uncle William.

"Time is up! You have to return to your cell!"

I threw the phone, with anger spreading like fire. The guardian couldn't respond to my rude attitude. Instead, she was shocked. As much as I felt proud that I didn't listen to whatever excuses she had, a part of me wanted to know everything. Where did she live? What did she do for a living? And most of all, why they left me like that. At a point where nothing can be done, I just sat this night staring at the grey walls.

I looked at the white sticks, which I used as a calendar. Seven months have already passed. My arms became very thin- they were just bones. Drawing with the last bit of energy left in my faint fingernails, I observed everything that happened the last few months. I lost a lot of my strength, and only doing the cell's chores sometimes made me pass out. Days went on without eating, and even water seemed like poison to me.

Whenever Cherry talked to me, her eyes stared at my pale lips and dry eyes. She always tried saving me my portion of food, but eventually, she gave up when I always faced her with rejection.

Even those prisoners who ate weren't any better and were very underweight. Their only reason for endure is because they learned to adapt to the rough conditions of this place. The meals they offered could not sustain any living creature. We were offered no lunch, and only two meals- which were fourteen hours apart. While prisoners struggled with hunger, I was unable to finish one meal.

Cherry tried teaching me the little hobbies she could do in prison- rock shaping, wood carving and even drawing. But nothing snapped me out of reality. I was stuck a prisoner of the dark loop of thoughts, and not in this place. With a cold heart and dark eyes I didn't respond to any call or visit. 'Rules of Death' was covered in dust and dirt, begging to be held and read.