Chapter 10: I Am Who I Am

September 20,2021

"Spend time to discover your true purpose, instead of crying over failed plans."

ARYN•

"You know what's worse? I didn't kill them instantly

"You know what's worse? I didn't kill them instantly. They were trapped here for years. Long years. Along with many more endless victims," he grinned.

My stomach churned as the scent of rotten bodies filled the thick atmosphere. I zipped my parents' bags, knowing that this was the last to see them. As their bodies gradually disappeared under the black bags, tears of regret flew down my cheek, onto the bloody- white tiles. Flashbacks of my mother's call in prison raced in my perplexed mind.

I was desperate for time to go back. To return to prison. To continue that phone call, and to hear my mother calling for help, and asking me to save her from the years of trapping she endured. Guilt twisted my heart, thinking how different this moment could've been. Maybe I had a chance to save them. I closed my eyes hopelessly, imagining them hugging me, and apologizing sincerely. Was my anger and dignity worth losing those beautiful moments?

"Why! Didn't you feel the slightest guilt seeing me think about them every day? You're a pathetic, weak and a cursed soul," I replied with the little energy my shivering lips had.

"Guilt? That is a trait for weak people," he laughed.

"Aren't you dying to know how your parents lived, or why did I do all this, my dear fiance? Well, let me tell the story of their useless lives."

I looked at him with dull eyes, trying to conceal my fatigue and defeat. My fragile soul didn't have the strength to shut his voice. I slept nights, wondering about each hidden truth my parents had. He was going to say it all in front of me and in front of their covered bodies. But, my eagerness to know dissolved in my racing thoughts. My only wish was for him to magically vanish into dust, and for this day to be wiped out of my memory.

"Your parents, Mr and Mrs Anderson weren't innocent, nor people who could honour you. They were a bunch of criminals, who earned money by killing people. Of course, I don't give a damn about that. It's up to them how to live their lives and abandon a stupid woman like you. But-"

"It wasn't up to them to murder my mother. They slaughtered her with a cold heart and got paid a huge sum of money. It was that same money they sent to pay for your dumb university's fees!" he exclaimed.

"I worked for so many long nights to see that look on your face. To witness you so hopeless, because this is what you deserve!"

"Wanna know another thing? I even paired up with Doctor Fredrick to ruin your career, but it was such a shame you got freed from attempted murder. That goddamn lawyer of yours knew the video was fabricated, although I paid a lot of money for it to look real."