Chapter 16: Glimmering Melodies

October 20,2021- October 21,2021

"The good people can turn into the bad, and the bad can turn into the good, both subject to the same circumstances. But what if those circumstances favor only one side?"

ARYN

I headed towards Doctor Sophia's office, distracted by the eccentric trees surrounding me

I headed towards Doctor Sophia's office, distracted by the eccentric trees surrounding me. However, the distraction wasn't enough to surrender that rising fear of exposure. That bitter exposure of my vulnerability, and the sunken emotions. In what seemed like a minute or two, I was in front of the Doctor, faking a smile and waiting for her to allow my entrance.

My eyes couldn't help but notice her welcoming smile, which revealed almost all of her perfectly aligned- teeth and her dimples. Although it was rare, I immediately felt a sense of comfort around her as I felt my tensed shoulders lean. A genuine smile suddenly drew my lips, as if yearning to spill everything that buried it.

A person who radiates that sense of ease is gifted.

"Good Morning, Aryn. Please have a seat."

I sat, looking at the beauty of nature outside the transparent glass door. The gigantic trees with their old trunks seemed different, though they were the same magical trees I saw on my way. Small birdhouses were dangling from each tree, with chicks waiting eagerly for their parent to return. On the white wall behind the Doctor, there was a very thin wooden branch- barely the thickness of the bird's claw grasp. Somehow, the bluebird wasn't trying to escape despite being not caged, and not daring to chirp as if not to cause any disturbance for its owner.

"Good Evening Aryn, I'm Doctor Sophia. Before we begin, I'd like to tell you that whatever you say stays between us. I'm here to help, and not to judge. If my questions at any point in time trigger you, please stop me and have a glass of water. Deal?"

"Yes, Doctor."

"That's great. Let's begin now. First of all, what prompted you to seek therapy now?"

"My childhood wasn't the best, but there were many things I held to at the time, considering how simple life was back then. But the more I grew up, the more I lost trust in the people around me. Many continuous events occurred in the past year, and I couldn't handle any of them well because they just weren't normal. Too much for me. However, I felt empty, and numb most of the time without realizing the tolerance my body had. I collapsed suddenly, knowing that my lack of sleep and nutrition were the cause along with my mental health of course.

"And on the other hand, I can't really control them because those feelings are refusing to leave me. I want to escape from this state, and thus decided to seek this therapy now."

"And, what was it like growing up with your family? In other words, why do you think your childhood wasn't the best?"

I froze and looked deeply into her brown eyes. That fear of exposure returned, but the sense of ease she gave counteracted and I began uttering and releasing everything I once promised to kill, as the images of my young self played in my mind.