Chapter 17: Death of a Crown

October 21,2021- October 23,2021

"To live, or not to live? What is life, when there's a known end that will strike?"

LOUIS•

Her words were just the same old words I'd been hearing from Uncle Samuel for the past sixteen years

Her words were just the same old words I'd been hearing from Uncle Samuel for the past sixteen years. I was certain that her vision won't be acknowledged, and that we will probably end up as the latest ranks. I didn't care.

The only thing that truly bothered me was her solid determination, which could exist as a separate human driven solely by will. The way she would arch her eyebrows, cross her arms, and how her pupils constricted only signified a woman ready to sacrifice her own life for the sake of the objective. I agreed, confident that she'll realize what the kingdom truly thinks of her 'aspiration'. It was time to let her have a fast of her own medicine.

I headed to the library to prepare for the classes of the week. The first day went on as usual, with Aryn silently sitting, listening and recording. Each second was almost the same, with a slight change in the occurrence of the cold breeze.

"Here's the assignment you asked me to do. The list of places you asked me to explore and write about," she said.

"And I have one more question. What's the point of classes and tests if I already became a protector?"

"Those tests just determine your position among the protectors. The higher the position, the more precious the pearl and the higher your authority. Anyway, I need to go now. Any other questions?"

"No, thanks."

I walked to the dorm and began preparing the registration papers under the name 'The World's Survival'. Each word I wrote claimed war against my wall of thoughts, but it was always a losing one. I was ready to stand in front of the prestigious researchers, having the most unrealistic matter to talk about, and even look at the sarcasm in their eyes. Even if it will only slightly quiver Aryn's will, and put a stop to the line of her thoughts, I was ready to speak against my own beliefs.

I didn't understand the dire urge that suddenly emerged to halt her. But, there was something in the way she talked, not with her actual words, that seemed to fuel a battle against my past and the finite future. Every day was the same for me, practically only trying to forget the day before. However, when she talked with utter confidence despite being enslaved from her normal life, it made me question: Was living
just to forget? I couldn't imagine or never tried, proceeding ahead differently.

"Louis. Have you thought of auditioning to play the violin in the event?" she said, as she signed the registration papers.

"Excuse me?"

"I've read that highly talented musicians are chosen. And I'm sure that your talent surpasses any criteria."

"If the talent those musicians have is measured in light years, I'd have a single light year of talent. Those people train for their entire lives to get accepted."