Chapter Four-

Chapter Four-

            “Clay? What’re you doing here? You have to get out of here and go home…” I say to him.

He looks at me for a second and sits down on the deep red sofa with me. “I don’t want to go home… They’re letting you say your goodbyes and I guess it would be rude of me not to come thank you.”

I look down and bite my lip, “Don’t worry about it, it’s no big deal.”

            “It is a big deal.”

            “Why…?” I reply, “Do you think I don’t have a chance?”

He bites his nail, “Well, considering the fact you are going into an arena with your best friend you never know. I mean, I have faith in you… but I’m worried about you. I don’t even know you little dude. But I have my confidence in you. I’ll be watching you every moment of those games.”

            “I’ll win.” I say.

            “Promise.”

I stare at him for a brief moment, my heart is pounding out of my chest right now, “I can’t make any promises, but I’ll put my best effort into it. I didn’t volunteer because I didn’t think I could win.”

            But I don’t think I can win. No matter how much training I have. Or how much maturity I have, I can’t win. I bet the other tributes will be brutes. Brutes that want blood. My blood. The reason I volunteered is because I feel something for Clay, and I didn’t want him to get hurt. Or worse, I didn’t want him to get killed. In selfishness a part of me didn’t want to see him on the games, being drooled on by every girl in Panem. A problem I WON’T have in the arena.

He just sits there, then unexpectedly throws his arms around me and hugs me. I blush deeply, hesitantly I hug him back.

            “Don’t worry about me.” I say.

He pats my back, “But I will, little dude. Just know I’ll be thinking of you.”

            He exits the room and I’m by myself again.

            For a few minutes the room is silent. I browse books on the mahogany library. Clack some mini Newton balls sitting on a wooden desk and just plain out stare at the maroon hued walls. Then the cherry wood door opens again and in steps my sister, She hugs me tight and sobs.

            “I love you.” She says.

I hug her back tight. My sister has always been there for me. In the war she would feed me, and aid me. She was my mother figure when my Mom was filling her body with booze and spirits.

            “You can do it..” Pearl wipes her tears and breaks the hug up.

I smile at her, tearing up, and shake my head, “I can’t win. You think I’ll be able to win. Pearl. If I don’t make it out alive. I need you to know how thankful I am for you. You don’t deserve this. Grow up. Go to school, get married and have a nice family. Start that jewelry business you have always wanted to start and live a successful life for me.”

            “I promise. I really promise.” She hugs me again.

            There’s been a lot of promises made today. I finally realize that I’m saying goodbye. I’m stating everything I say as if I’m saying goodbye. I have no chance at winning these sick wretched games. It’s going to be a blood bath.

            “Let’s go.” Says a male peacekeeper, guiding my sister to the door.

            “I love you, Jerry!” Pearl yells to me.

I tear up again, “I love you too!”

            An hour later we’re on a horse drawn carriage to go to the train station. Viola explains the whole games to us without even taking a breath.

            “First will be the opening ceremony. Then the interviews! Oh my I can’t wait for you to meet your stylist and mentor who’s had years in survival training programs! And, You’re going to be training a lot in the next few days, so bulk up! Oh the train is just divine! So many dishes to choose from. Don’t let me get STARTED on your rooms! The Capital has put NO expense or boundaries on these games! You are some very lucky children.” Viola pipes.

            “Lucky?” I ask.

            Other than the fact she actually just called me a child, She just told me we were lucky ‘children’ to be exposed as celebrities, then put into an arena to fight to the death.

She purses her lips, “Yes. Lucky. Aren’t you excited!?”

            “Hell no.” I reply, letting out a heavy sigh.

            “Why would we be excited!? One of us is going to be dead soon.” Sabrina adds.

Viola gives us both a look, “Mind your manners. You’re gonna need some if you want some sponsors! They’re your life line.”

            I blow up a stray piece of hair, sighing heavily. Poor Viola, one of the many Capital citizens who were oh so obviously brainwashed by the barbaric Capital lifestyle. We arrive at the train station, a huge platinum train awaits and peacekeepers guard the entrance.

            “Step right in Mr.Hinman.” Says one of the peacekeepers, nudging me gently with his gun.

I give him a stern look, “Don’t touch me with that.”

            “You don’t make the decisions here.” I hear the smirk in his voice as he nudges Sabrina in the exact same way. Viola steps onto the train as well and sits on a leather booth.

             It’s absolutely stunning. Crystal chandeliers, platinum doorknobs, entrees and snacks of all shape, sizes, colors and flavors. Beverages that could last my mother days. I can barely feel the train start moving.

            “Well… as your mentor takes a nap, let’s discuss what’s next!” Viola pipes up.

I sit across from her, “Yeah? What is next Viola?” I try to create small talk. Not only that but I sincerely am interested in what’s next.

            “Well… We’re going to spend one night here in the train and we’ll arrive in the Capital tomorrow. All the Tributes will be there by three p.m.! Then you’ll have some time to rest and at seven will be training. Then the next night the opening ceremony where everyone will be introduced to the tributes. The NEXT night will be evaluations. That’s where you’ll receive your training scores from the game makers, from there the next night will be the interviews, and then you guys have to wake up early at six for the journey to the arena and the games will start at ten a.m. ON THE DOT!” Viola cheekily grins, her lipstick smudging onto her pearly white teeth.

            Oh my, that’s an awful lot to take in.

            “I know, very busy schedule you two have. But…. You’ll get used to it!” Viola checks something off her clipboard, with a pink pen, a feather sticking out of the back. “I just hope you will be able to take in what the arena has to offer.”