Chapter Fourteen-

Chapter Fourteen-

Sixty, fifty-nine, fifty-eight. My life flashes before my eyes as I watch the holographic numbers flash above the cornucopia in bright blue digits. I get into running stance, making eye contact with other competitors and sneering at them in intimidation. 'Thirty-five, thirty-four, thirty-three.' My face grows tense and I'm concentrated on the backpack that lays about eight yards in front of me. 'twenty, nineteen, eighteen, seventeen.' I make eye contact with Jake and smile softly, and then focus straight on the cornucopia again. This is no time to play around. 'Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one.' And a gunshot tells us the games have started.

I sprint as fast as I can, grabbing what is now my backpack by the orange strap. It beats against my back as I run towards the two throwing axes, Picking them up just as the District seven boy reaches them. I pull them out of his hand, grunting. He tries to take me by the collar but I knee him in his stomach, elbow his chest and kick him in the stomach with so much force it almost pushes me down with him. I take my axe and glide it swiftly into his chest, hearing it rip open his flesh and release a pool of blood. It splatters onto my jumpsuit and face and I stand up swiftly, getting my bearings and going deeper into the Cornucopia. I pick up a half dozen throwing knives and a weapon belt. Then watch as Sabrina comes with a bow and sheath of arrows, shooting a tribute in the stomach. Jake fights with a female tribute with dirty blonde hair. She swings a machete at him and I scream as it cuts his arm. I throw an axe, it breezes through the air and I see her head get split in half by the force of it. Jake turns around to see me, he smiles and takes the axe out of her head and runs towards me. I meet him half way, making sure no other tributes are onto us. He hands me the axe and kisses me quickly. I blush and run towards the cornucopia. I see the three golden tridents and snatch them up for him. Graciously, he takes them from me and takes my hand, running into the woods with me. I cut past the shrubs and other vines of sorts, clearing a path for the two of us.

"Climb into the tree." I tell him.

He gives me an odd look, "Why?"

I kiss him and look into his eyes, "I have to go get the others."

He obediently climbs into the tree, his backpack shifting around upon his back. I run to corn once more, I don't even have to alert them as I already see Nyx and Sabrina make their way to us. Dead bodies are scattered on the ground, I stare in horror at the many faces who were alive just a few minutes ago, and to know that I contributed is horrible.

Garnet and Chase must have already made their way into the woods and are nowhere to be found. So for now it's just the four of us and the rest of the remaining tributes.

"How many did you guys kill?" Sabrina asks us as we walk through the dense terrain.

"I killed two." I say to her, showing her the caked blood on my axes, "The boy from seven and some girl who I don't recognize from training or anything."

"I killed one." Nyx replies to Sabrina.

Sabrina looks at Jake, "I killed none." Jake replied, "I didn't have any weapons until Jerry came along. If he wasn't there I wouldn't be here right now." He hugs me, I can feel his rock hard body under this sheer fabric and I am loving it.

"I killed one." Sabrina tells us, her blonde hair flowing in her ponytail. Nyx rests her arm against a tree and pushes her back against it, sliding down the trunk all the way to the ground, sitting herself on the roots, "Are you sure we shouldn't make camp at corn?" Nyx asks us, "The woods are risky."

"The woods give us cover though, and they allow us to be unseen if we're quiet enough. I think we're fine here, but I agree we should make camp at corn in the near future when things quiet down." Sabrina implies.