Chapter Seventeen-

Chapter Seventeen-

He looks at me, "But I'm not going to be the one that has to... you will. Just remember I always love you."

"I love you too handsome. Now let's set camp for the night. I'm tired and cold and I just want to cuddle." I say.

Jake smiles and takes my hand, "Perhaps we should find somewhere not out in the open first."

I agree and we start searching for a place to rest, and that's where we find a small cave, just the perfect size for the two of us, but still deep. We inspect it for any harmful wildlife. Once we make sure it isn't dangerous, we lay down and hold each other on the ground.

Night starts to peek through and the stars are amongst the grid in the sky.

"I think we did the best we could today. We found water and you manage to always look perfect." Jake chuckles under his breath.

Our bags lay next to us and all we can hear between our breaths are the droplets of water that fall from the top of the cave to the crystal clear stream of spring water that invades it slightly. The gravel under our bodies is mixed with mud and gritty but it's comfortable enough to sleep on top of for tonight.

"Thank you, handsome. I'd have to agree, we accomplished much." I smile and look into his eyes, he takes his finger and slides it under my chin, pushing it up so I can face him more. He slowly creeps his lips towards mine. Before we're interrupted by a blood curdling scream.

We slowly get up and quietly creep to the front arch of the cave.

"Bitch get on the fucking ground and shut up." Says a voice from the other side of the river. I can see silhouettes. Three tributes are pushing a girl to a tree.

"It can't be." Jake whispers.

I look up at him, "What is it?"

He points to one of the tributes, they don't have an arm.

"It's them, it's the tribe." I say.

Jake places an arm in front of me as if he's guarding me and holds his trident.

I get out my axe, "Don't it isn't worth it. Let's let them kill her and then we'll follow their footsteps back to their camp." I put on my night vision goggles from our bag and place the rest of our stuff on my back.

"Okay." Jake replies, "Yeah, I agree."

"I wasn't talking to anybody! Why won't you guys please just believe me?" The girl victim cries out to the tribe, she crawls back on her arms as they slowly creep their way towards her.

"We heard you talking to somebody. Where are the careers? I asked you a goddamn question." I hear Everest say.

I grip my axe tighter in my hands, holding back everything in my being so I don't lodge this axe into their head.

The girl holds her hands up, surrendering, "I told you everything, I just talk to myself when I'm lonely. Don't hurt me please. I have sisters back home."

"Die today, die tomorrow, die the next day. You're still going to die. Did you not get the memo when it was announced only one makes it out? Did you not feel the gravity of that when you were chosen at the reaping?" This voice comes from the silhouette of the District five boy, Cyan. I never heard his voice fully until now. It's ice cold and sends shivers down my spine.