11. "Everyday was a battle," (SBI angst MOVED)

THIS HAS BEEN MOVED TO "WARY" ON MY PROFILE. IT WAS GETTING TOO LONG TO TURN INTO A ONESHOT SO I'M WRITING A WHOLE-ASS BOOK ON IT LMAO CHECK IT OUT. I'LL LEAVE THIS UP THO CUZ WHY TF NOT

https://www.wattpad.com/1007989893-wary-sbi-adoption-au-an-intro

Thirteen foster homes in the span of ten years.

Each one shitty in it's own way.

After being shunted around the foster system since the age of five, you started to get it.

That they didn't care. No one.

Not the system, the officials, the orphanages, the foster parents or even the other kids.

The newbies did for a while. 

And sometimes they got a good family first time, before they could be corrupted, before they could accept that the world didn't give a damn.

Because after a few homes, all the kindness, the helpfulness, all the bullshit genuine families wanted was gone. 

It was a vicious unbreaking cycle.

And fifteen year old Wilbur Soot had accepted the only way for him to get out now, was to turn eighteen. And hopefully stay out of juvie until then.

Because nobody wanted Will. A 6'5 teenager was enough to turn down anyone wanting a child - but when they took a glance at the previous homes, their comments on his 'attitude', and his criminal record - (for shoplifting, drug abuse, public and underage intoxication, being in a fight - and that was only the thing they knew about), they never took him in.

The only families that did were the ones who didn't give a shit who the kid was, only that the government would pay them to 'look after him' and that they didn't actually give a shit about how many bruises he left home with. 

So when Phil walked in to the orphanage only six days after his previous family kicked him out, he didn't have much hope.

He was called into the office, where he proceeded to immediately take the farthest chair away from Phil and lounge in it obnoxiously. He had his dark brown trench coat on, with his grey beanie and plain shirt. The coat was one of his only belongings. 

It was easier to hide your fear with contempt. They all expected him to be an asshole anyway, so why the fuck shouldn't he be?

Besides, he knew this Phil wouldn't give a fuck what he acted like, it was the money and brownie points they all wanted.

So he zoned out as the head explained what a fuckup he was - instead viewing Phil's body language.

Normally he could tell what the home would be like pretty fast. 

Family four and seven were obvious addicts, family eleven had only be interested in his physical health showing they wanted free labor and the careful word spacing of the dad from five showed his anger issues. Family eight had immediately shoved him against the wall and explained the rules so he didn't have to guess, but sometimes they were harder to guess.

House ten for example had treated him well for so long, made him feel safe before they broke him, and family nine had also seemed so safe until his new mother had made out with him after a month. 

Phil seemed nice, caring and gentle. He was strong and scarred, but none were recent, and his smile looked genuinely helpful.

So another manipulator.