10. Daughters

"Destiny. My name's Destiny Rory."

I immedietly shake my head, while taking a few steps back. "No, y- you can't be. Destiny's eight years old. She- she's already on this ship."

The mixture of fear, hope, and disappointment on her face tells me otherwise though. Her voice is shaky, with a vulnerability I haven't seen on her before. "But I'm from the future. Or the past... I just-"

I recall the little she told me. "You said your mom abandoned you as a kid."

A tear falls down her face. "1967. You had to leave me behind in 1967."

I shake my head in denial. "No, you're lying. You can't be her. You're not her!"

The last part was almost a yell. If I wasn't shaking and tears weren't falling from my eyes, you'd think I mean it. I want to mean it, I wan't to believe it, but I don't. Deep down, I know she's my daughter. I knew it all along.

One last pleading word leaves her mouth, before she drops onto her knees in tears. "Mom?"

Seeing her like this. In a pain that I caused breaks me. The only thing on my mind now is to make the pain go away. To just hold my child. "My baby!" My legs move faster than they've done ever before and in a milisecond I'm on my knees in front of her.

I wrap my arms around her, not planning on ever letting her go. How?How could I have done this to my sweet little Destiny?

---

It's been a few days. I haven't left Dahlia's side since then. I still refer to her as Dahlia, since it's too confusing otherwise.

But it doesn't matter how I refer to her. She's my daughter and I plan to do everything in my power to make things right. Everything.

Now, I'm looking at little Destiny. I read her a bedtime story, during which she fell asleep. It's also the first time Dahlia isn't with me.

She looks so innocent. She may have suffered when she was a toddler, but she was so young that it's all distant memory for her. Knowing what she'll go through breaks my heart. I don't know much, but I know I'll leave her behind and the thought is almost unbearable.

I don't care what I have to do. I won't leave her behind.

Dahlia sits down next to me. "Nobody ever told me I snore." She whispers, referring to how her younger self is snoring slightly.

"It's adorable." I whisper in return.

I know now is probably not the time to ask it, but I've been wondering this for a while now. "How's this possible?"

"That I'm here?"

"That there's two of you here and we're not breaking time again."

"Because it's how time's supposed to unfold."

"You mean you're not breaking time, because time wants you to be here?"

She nods in response. I know that means it's also part of the timeline I leave Destiny behind, but I don't want to think about that now. We'll find a way... we always do.

For now, I just move a strand of hair out of Dahlia's face and tuck it behind her ear. "You became so beautiful."

Her eyes lock with mine. Every time this happens, I'm reminded of who she is again. She changed so much over the years, but her eyes remained the same. They may have become a lighter shade of brown, but they're still hers.

I will never understand how a killer and thief like me could ever deserve this. A perfect daughter, a beautiful girlfriend, and a team I can call a family.