6. I'm okay

Light.

It's the first thing I register when I'm woken up. Bright, bright, lights. The next thing I notice is a groan from Sara, followed by a silent whisper from someone else. "Mom? Sara?"

Since it's Destiny and her voice sounds shaky, I do my best to get used to the lights. When I look at the clock and see it's 2 am, I get slightly annoyed. I'm just trying not to let it show when I ask her: "What is it, sweetie?"

Sara is also awake now, with her eyes directed at Destiny. "I had a nightmare and I can't fall asleep again." She replies, clearly still a little bit sleepy.

"What did you dream of?" Sara asks.

"The angry ranger." She replies.

When she was living on the streets, a drunk man came to her each week. She had to give him enough food for the next week, or otherwise he'd hurt her. Meaning she always had to steal for two.

When she told me about this as a three year old, I made him into a villain from a fairy tale: the angry ranger. And the angry ranger only targets the kids that live in his woods, which isn't her.

I take a pillow from under the bed and lay it in between the two of us. "Come here."

She faintly smiles and climbs into the bed to lie in between us. Sara has an idea. "Did Kate ever tell you what she was like when she first became part of the Legends?"

"She tries to avoid it." Destiny replies.

Sara smirks. "Well, I don't."

Sara spents the next hour talking about all my screw ups. (At least the ones that she should know about)

When Destiny eventually jawns, she stops. The young girl then falls asleep with the two of us not far behind.

---

Sara, Destiny and I are in the office. Sara is playing a distress call, while Destiny and I are eating pancakes.

"Code 99. This is agent Gary Green. Seattle, Washington, 2042. I just witnessed a female meta of unknown origin. She killed everyone."

I roll my eyes. Why did they let Gary go alone? I mean, I like him, but he's just more paperwork material.

The kid now walks in, followed by my brother. "Hey. What's going on?" Kid asks.

"We intercepted a distress call from one of Rip's Time Bureau agents." Sara replies.

"Why?" Chucky asks. "Actually, forget it. I don't care."

"It's the dweepy one." Sara says.

"Gary." I add.

"Still don't care." Chucky grunts.

Even the kid agrees. "Yeah. I gotta go with Mick on this one. Why would we help those ass clowns?"

Destiny frowns. "That's rude."

"Well, it's not our job." He says.

My brother gets even more rude. "Hopefully that little time dweeb learns his lesson."

"Oh, come on." I say. "He's a nice guy. He's dweeby and stupid, but a nice guy."

"And the last time I checked, we help people who are in trouble." Sara adds.

Chucky takes another sip of his beer. "I don't."

---

Destiny's P.O.V.

Mom is going with the team to help that Gary guy. She left me on the ship with Amaya and 'professor egghead' as she calls him. I prefer Marty though.