12. Daddy issues

Kate's P.O.V.

"How is it you even look beautiful when you're in a coma?" I wonder, staring at the beauty in front of me.

Only to sigh. "I wish you were here with me though. I wish I could see your smile again."

It's probably my immagination, but I could've sworn I saw the corner of her lip move a little. I trace those lips with my finger. "I love your smile."

Then I stroke her cheek with that same hand, whispering: "I love you, Sara."

After staring at her, I start thinking out loud. "Maybe it's good you're in a coma. If you weren't then you'd want to get back into the field right away... At least now you have some rest."

The door opens, revealing professor egghead. He has two batons and a dummy with him. "May I interrupt?" He asks when he realises I'm here too.

Under normal sercumstances the answer would be 'no', but I'm actually in desperate need of a shower. So I reply with: "I was just leaving."

But before I actually leave, I whisper into Sara's ear: "Rest, baby, but when you wake up... will you smile for me again?"

After one last glance and no answer, I leave without asking what the dummy is for.

---

"I really wish I had better news about Sara. But she's still in a coma thanks to Damien Darhks daughter laying her out." I tell the others, who have assembled in her office.

"Well, in the meantime, we could do what we do best, and fix a few anachronisms?" Haircut proposes.

"How about you drop me off on an island full of beautiful women, like Zari did with that Helen chick?" Chucky asks.

"Rory, you weren't supposed to say anything." Zari scolds.

"There's an island full of beautiful women?" Young Destiny asks sceptically.

"Themyscira, right?" Dahlia checks.

"Yeah, that one." My brother grunts.

Amaya realises what this means. "Wait, you didn't take Helen back to Troy where she belongs?"

"That's what the Time Bureau does. But we, we do something different." Zari points out.

But Nate disagrees. "No, we do it differently."

"Yeah, more messy." Haircut says.

"And with more fun." I add.

Zari stands up and pulls up the historical record on the screen. "Okay. If you look at the historical record, the Trojan War happens with or without Helen. See, no anachronism."

"How do you think the Captain would feel about you re-engineering time?" Haircut asks.

"Well, we can argue about that later because I know exactly what she'd say if she wakes up and finds us doing nothing." Kid points out.

"We owe it to Sara to keep doing our job." Amaya dutyfully says.

To which I snap slightly. "No need to make it sound like she's dead, let's just fix something and get this over with."

Amaya nods. "So where do we start?"

Kid has the answer. "Well, I was thinking we just leave it up to chance and my index finger."

He points at a random place on the screen. When Gideon zooms in and shows what the anachonism is, Nate speaks up. "Oof. Vietnam, 1967."

"Height of the Vietnam war." Dahlia finishes.