Chapter 5: Memories (Part 2)

Setting down the book on the desk to her right, she turned to look at the rest of the room. Her eyes drew immediately to the largest thing on the other side of the room. It was a stone coffin, the lid was partially misplaced. Maya had seen this coffin before, from somewhere. Not from this life but...

Slowly, Maya edged toward the coffin. There was an open journal resting on top, with a few other papers that were smudged and partially ruined from being exposed to the slightly humid air, not protected by a tough cover. Picking up the journal, she flipped through, finding that it was not all the way filled out. Going to the beginning of the last entry, she read.

     Haruka and I had been discussing personal matters in at my place. It had to do with family matters, as odd as it was to say. Our family line and the Kuran's were related, to say the least. It was for the sake of a purebloods privacy and the reputations of both them and ourselves. Haruka and Juri had a lot of trust in us, it being mutual as well. We are the guardians of our creator, our ancestors. We have those who look up to us, and expect a lot from us, but we do keep many secrets to preserve our sanity and personal lives. Not a lot of things can be ours, and we take pride in the little things that we can have to ourselves. 

     I had left Haruka for a moment to grab something from the basement. Most of the documentation down here is for journal recordings, but some is family documentation that my father, and grandfather had come to discuss with Haruka on co-existing with humans and hunters alike. This relationship with the Kurans for thousands of years. They are one of the few vampires I ever came to trust in my lifetime.

     I grabbed a stack of documents, which Haruka had requested from memory for me. Despite 30 years of training as a Hunter, I was clumsy. I tripped, slicing my hand on a letter opener, and caught myself on the lid of my ancestors coffin. I watched my blood drip onto the lid of the coffin. That's when I heard a noise, a low thud come from within the coffin, a snarling. 

    Despite all of my research, there hadn't been a single hint, or word, about awakening an ancestor. Doubt immediately spread in my mind, no, it wouldn't be that simple. It was never simple.

   I immediately backed away, watching the lid slowly slide away, a clawed hand gripping edge of the coffin. Haruka appeared, by the grace of his hearing and power, sending a blast of energy that should have been enough to kill her, but a pureblood of any species was hard to kill, unless you did it the right way. 

    Ignoring my bleeding hand, knowing Haruka had no interest in devouring me, I approached the now silent coffin, the lid having been blown off from the blast. There was a large blood splatter inside the coffin from where Amara had been struck. Instead of finding the disfigured, probably severely injured body of an Ancestor, there was a baby.

         Since there was nothing for her to consume, she didn't have enough energy to remain in the form that she had slumbered in for thousands of years, and reverted back to an infant as a way of protecting herself. I picked up the baby girl, looking at Haruka, who had stayed silent other than asking if I was alright.  From that moment, we had another child to look after. My wife and I vowed to look after her as if she was one of our own. We raised her as our daughter. Our little Maya. One day, we will tell her, that is if she hasn't discovered who she is first. Until then...we will do our best as parents. 

    The same occurrence I just relayed happened just last week with Haruka and Juuri. Their older brother,  took and killed their newborn to wake the Kuran's ancestor, thus reverting their ancestor to a child, which they would raise as their own.
     Perhaps this is a sign that things will change and be different. For everyone's sake. 

The journal slipped from her fingers, hitting the ground, any loose pages fluttered around her feet. Her own legs gave out, and she sat on the lid of the coffin, staring wide eyed at the stones at her feet.

It was all beginning to make sense. The reason why Kaname had done what he'd done. At first, Maya had thought that he had put Maya in Amara's place, because they shared blood, to help him full-fill his goals. In truth, she was really born the progenitor, the ancestor. Maya hadn't regained her memories, but he had as he grew up. Haruka and Juuri, they told him about me. God...much much did that hurt him, to have his sister back who didn't remember him at all, and then for it to continue after her awakening.

Maya lay down on the lid of the coffin, staring up at the ceiling as she closed her eyes. She'd fought the memories up until this point. Now, she let herself go, letting her mind sink deep into the memories to let them all flood back.

________________

When Maya came to, she felt... whole. She remembered everything before she went to sleep in this coffin she now lay on. Her real name, her true name, was Amara Takamiya. An ancestor, accidentally awoken by her kin, who raised her and treated her as one of their own. Her powers as a progenitor were full awakened. 

It had felt like a lifetime had taken place in her dream. Growing up with her siblings, the troubles with vampires, the furnace, Raiden's obsession with the vampire heirarchy, the death of her son. Even the hundreds of years she spent training humans to defend themselves against the numerous vampires that roamed the earth at that time. To create a group that was built around slaying vampires. All of it.

A tear slid down into her hairline. Just as it had been all that time ago, she was now the only one alive. Maya sat up, sliding off the coffin lid to her feet. The acceptance that she had been awakened had long subsided. It was fine, for the moment at least. Naomi, Kaname, and herself all had jobs to do before they were put to rest. Maya would continue her job no matter what. Maya...Amara...whatever she was to call herself. She'd fix it all.

Looking around the room, she looked at all the documentation. For her father, she'd keep all of this safe and secure, for Kaito to pass onto his children. That if he was willing enough to do so. His hatred for purebloods start with the death of their parents, and further escalated with what happened to their older brother. The cycle of friendship had been very much broken ten years ago.