Chapter 14: Attack

The snow flakes were falling slowly and silently to the ground, which already had about five inches covering the entirety of her surroundings. it muffled everyday sounds which seemed much louder in the summertime, creating a quiet atmosphere. The shop windows were lined with lights, as were some of the lamp posts.

Late night bars, restaurants, and coffee shops were thriving as heavily as ever in the later afternoon. She stopped in a nearby coffee shop, grabbing herself a large drink before heading back outside, pulling her hood over her head. Taking a sip of her drink, she enjoyed the burn on her tongue, feeling the hot liquid flow down her throat and warming her stomach. She headed up toward the center of town. It was void of vendors, but filled with a few dozen people and kids as they went about their business.

"Master? Sensei!"

Maya lowered the coffee from her lips, seeing Hikaru and a few other young hunters across the way. She gave a small smile as he ran over, sliding to a stop in front of her. Now almost seventeen, he was definitely a little taller than her. He still looked lively as ever, with a spring in his step and bright eyes. Yagari had taken Hikaru under his wing after Maya's dismissal, much to his chagrin. Although her pupil was still young, he had already mastered almost all of his skills in the training department, and had already gone on three missions as a full-fledged hunter.

"Hello there," she greeted. "I'm not your sensei anymore, kid."

He brushed her off with a grin. "I wouldn't say that, you trained me for nearly four years. Besides, I have a unique skill set because I trained under you."

"Skills, agreeable. Attitude, hard to believe." She stated, taking another sip of coffee.

"I put up with everyone's bullshit a lot better than I thought I could."

This made Maya genuinely chuckle. "You got something from me after all. Where are you and your friends headed anyway?" She glanced at his friends who were still standing there, waiting for him and talking amongst themselves.

Hikaru seemed hesitant to answer at first, but told her anyway. "That public courthouse. That's been the meeting place of all three sectors for a while now. Their gonna speak about that pureblood that's been causing a fuss. The human public is just asking more and more questions and we don't know how to respond."

"Well, its nothing new. Can I walk with you and your friends to the courthouse? I've been wondering what my ex-pupil is up to." Maya didn't want to pry or force herself into a situation into which Hikaru would get into trouble. What was going on in that courthouse was none of her business. Besides, Maya had other plants, none of which bothered with anyone in that courtroom. The two of them walked past the friend group, who followed close behind. Maya asked Hikaru about his missions, and how he was dealing with Yagari's training methods. They were still quite a few blocks from their destination when the ground rumbled under their feet.

"What was that?" One of the young hunter's asked behind her. They all stopped, hearing it again. Maya's nose caught whiff of dust and smoke before seeing it over the tops of buildings. 

"It's coming from the courthouse." Maya replied. Without a second thought, she dropped her drink and phased to her wolf form, sprinting through the less-crowded streets and leaving the young hunters in the dust. She rounded the corner, booking it through a few alleyways before  finding the building. 

The top of it was gone, bricks and shrapnel everywhere. From the center, there was a mass of flames. Humans, vampires, and hunters were staring at the mess in horror. It looked as though the crowd had been waiting for some kind of verdict from whoever was supposed to give it after the meeting. Maya used her powerful legs and jumped over the crowd, sprinting straight into the building. To humans, she looked nothing more like an oversized dog.