Chapter 3: Master

Hikaru Saito was Maya's first trainee, a fourteen year old boy who had been training under another Hunter, who had been permanently injured on a mission and could no longer train him. He reminded her of Zero, the young, happy boy she knew before the terrible accident involving both of their parents. Dedicated to his studies and his willingness to impress, it motivated her  her to be the Master he would appreciate. 

It didn't seem to bother Hikaru that she was the one to train him given her history; More or less, he didn't care. In fact, he was almost flattered to have her as his Master, being the "badass Hunter". 

It was nearly 2 p.m., and she had just finished lecture and training for the day, having gone over the history and responsibility of the Hunter Association, and weapon handling. He'd been working under her for almost a month, and was showing to be an excellent pupil.

"Hikaru."

His tired hazel eyes looked up at her. "Yes Master?"

"How about a trip into town? I think you've deserved a bit of a break." Maya stated, shouldering her bag. With that statement, his eyes lit up.

"Can we?"

Maya grinned down at him, ruffling the mess of black hair that was on his head. "You've earned it."

The day was cloudy, having just rained. Maya inhaled deeply, the wolf side of her enjoying the smell. She tied her hair up into a ponytail, shoving her hands inside her jacket pockets. She waited outside the Association gates. It had been a long while since Maya had walked down into the lower parts of downtown. It was still old and broken, but lively with people and vendors and great food. 

Hikaru came running out of the front doors of the Association with a smile on his face. She nodded for him to follow and they took to walking to the place she wanted to take him. It was only about a thirty minute walk, during which Maya decided to talk to him a little bit more about the history of how this post-apocalyptical place came to be, although it had been a long time since that occurrence. It eventually petered out, and conversation about what he was going to spend his money on came about. 

They reached town, and she let Hikaru wander around the large town-square. Maya took the opportunity to stand near the center fountain, looking through emails on her phone. Inner anxiety heightened at the thought of overtaking Yagari's position as acting Co-President, and possibly be made into President of the Association. It was only fair, seeing that she wouldn't age. 

That particular topic of discussion had been well... messy. After everything that happened, and her reinstatement as a Hunter, she'd been able to confess everything to Kaien, Yagari, and Zero, who had been present at the time of her confession, and that included Kaname's doing to her lifestyle, her immortality, and the Ancestor that had been awakened. Kaien had taken it a little better than Yagari had, already knowing the lineages at The Beginning. It was common knowledge that the Takamiya line was of Pureblood Direwolf descent. But, given that Kaname had also been an Ancestor with an unfortunate awakening, and the destruction and grief that he had cause was burned into the memories of hunters and vampires alike. She was not like him... at least that's what she liked to believe. But nothing had happened yet to contradict her otherwise.

Maya put her phone away, glancing around the square to look for her student. She spotted him in the window of a dessert shop, happily eating something. Chuckling to herself, she walked around the square, seeing if anything tickled her fancy.  A flower vendor caught her eye, and she remembered a task to which she long had forgotten she did almost religiously following the days after the incident at the Academy for several months. Perhaps it was time to do it again. She made to get a bouquet after her and Hikaru finished their time here in town. Instead, she waited outside the dessert shop for him, making a few needed calls to coworkers.