Chapter 8: Raiden

"So, did you convince High Moon to let us help them?" Kaien asked over the phone.

"Well...yes, but it was incredibly hard."

It had taken nearly two hours, a private meeting with the seven members of council and, credit for assisting the Association in such a hard endeavor to allow Maya her fellow hunters to help.

"Are you really expecting us to lower our high standards as a pack? High Moon can take care of the vampires that have been plaguing our city."

Maya bit her tongue, remaining cordial. "With all due respect, Suzuki-sama. The Association is far more equipped to hand this type of thing. After all, we do specialize in killing vampires. Sure, our kind has teeth and claws, but that can only do so much. I still admire your admiration to remain strong and independent."

"With all due respect, dear cousin, we've been handling the situation just fine."

Maya glanced at Shou Takamiya. He'd been quiet throughout the ordeal in the courtroom, and during this particular meeting. He was older than her by at least a decade, and having only met him when she herself was an infant was not cause for warm, fuzzy feelings now during this reunion of sorts. He treated her as everyone else did in this blasted place. 

"Multiple reports from hunter branches around this area say otherwise, Shou. I'm sorry, but the truth of the matter is the Association is now invested because a pureblood has been causing disturbance that is absolutely illegal and revolting. There are other vampires, nobles and purebloods alike who are just as uneasy about the situation as we are and, would like to see the situation put to rest." Maya shifted in her seat, crossing her legs.

A woman to her right turned to Mr. Suzuki. "President, I can't help but agree with Takamiya-sama. I'd advise that we cooperate and get this over with, then we can go about our business and continue on with our lives."

The High Moon President sat there for a minute, lines forming between his brows as he thought. He finally succumbed to the idea after several gnawing seconds of placidity. 

"Fine. Do as you wish and be quick about it, Takamiya."

"I'm glad that it worked out. I really hate not having an affirmed list of those who were turned. A lot of people lost loved ones."

Maya grew morose. "I know, Kaien. But we have to treat it like the incident at the Academy. They just need to be put to rest."

______________________

A couple of weeks had passed since their conversation. Maya had stayed down in the city, doing some hunting of her own, while working with some of the hunter branches that were located on the outskirts of the city. They had cleared at least a dozen during that time period, finding the Level E's in the forested areas, and in abandoned industrial factories.

By the third or fourth week, most of the branch members were exhausted, leaving Kaien to send down some of the Association's hunters down to assist. Maya had been less active during the month, resigning herself to keep track of hunters, gathering data, numbers of Level E's that remained, talking with Kaien and Ken Suzuki. She decided to put in her weight, not wanting people to think she was only there to observe and not actually participate in a matter she was trying so hard to get done.

She drove with two hunters to a nature reserve with reports of at least two or three Level E's in that area. The hunters that were with her were Hikaru's parents, who had been called to this mission. They were exceptional hunters themselves, and had a great work ethic.

They parked, getting out and loaded their weapons with ammo.

"Hikaru really wanted to come along to witness his Sensei in action," Hikaru's father commented with a chuckle.