Event of Saqifa [ L18 ]

The Event of Saqifa was the first political event that took place right after the demise of the Prophet (s) in 11/632. In this event, the first Khalifa & leader of Muslim community was elected . The event took place when Imam Ali (a) and other Companions were occupied with performing burial ceremonies for the Prophet (s). It started when a group of the Helpers under the leadership of Sa'd b. 'Ubada gathered in a place called the Saqifa of Banu Saʿida to appoint a leader after the Prophet (s).

The Event of the saqifa and its result were against the instructions of the Prophet (s) regarding the succession, according to which Imam Ali (a) was to succeed the Prophet (s).

Reaction of Imam Ali (as)

Imam Ali (a) did not pledge his allegiance to First Khalifa on the day of the Saqifa. However, there is disagreement as to when and if he pledged his allegiance afterwards.

The true opinion is that Amir al-Mu'minin Ali b. Abi Talib (a) never pledged his allegiance to First Khalifa . During the first days after the Saqifa, when the supporters of first Khalifa tried to force him to pledge his allegiance to first Khalifa , Imam Ali (a) said to them, "I am more deserving of the caliphate than you, and I will not pledge my allegiance to you. You are more deserving of pledging your allegiance to me. You took the caliphate away from the Helpers arguing that ... because you were closer to the Prophet and were his kin, you were more deserving of the caliphate than them. Now, I argue against you by the same reasons that you mentioned against the Helpers. If you fear God, be fair with me, and accept from me the same thing that the Helpers accepted from you; otherwise, you will have knowingly done wrong".
It is reported that Imam Ali (a) had a gentle and lengthy debate with First caliphate , in which he condemned Him for neglecting the right of Ahl al-Bayt (a) in the Event of Saqifa. First Khalifa accepted the arguments of Imam Ali (a) and was about to abdicate and pledge his allegiance to the Imam Ali (a), but he consulted some of his companions and eventually refused to do so. On different occasions, Imam Ali (a) objected to the decision made at the Saqifa and reminded people of his right to succeed the Prophet (s).

Al-Shiqshiqiyya Sermon is one of the most well-known speeches of the Imam (a) in this regard. In the beginning of this sermon, Imam Ali (a) says, "Beware! By Allah, who dressed himself with [the caliphate] and he certainly knew that my position in relation to it was the same as the position of the axis in relation to the hand-mill. The flood water flows down from me and the bird cannot fly up to me."

Reaction of Lady Fatima (sa ) :

After the Event of the Saqifa, Fatima (as) severely opposed it and proclaimed that it was a transgression of the instructions of the Prophet (s). She articulated her opposition most clearly in her sayings when the supporters of First Khalifa besieged her house and tried to force Imam Ali (as) to pledge his allegiance to First Khalifa and also in her well-known Fadakiyya Sermon, which she delivered at the mosque of Medina.

It is reported that Fatima (sa) further referred to the Saqifa in the last days of her life, when the women of the Helpers came to visit her, as a violation of the Prophet's commands and warned about the consequences of this disobedience for the future of Islam.

Le to Aaye hai Saqifa wale Rehbar dusra ,
Pr Kaha se layenge Qum ka Mimbar dusra ?
#eid-e-ghadeer