|01 - QUARTER QUELL

CHAPTER ONE

From the Treaty of the Treason:

In penance for their uprising,
each district shall offer up
a male and a female between the ages of
12 and 18 at a public, "Reaping."

These Tributes shall be delivered
to the custody of The Capitol.
And then transferred to a public arena,
where they will Fight to the Death
until a lone victor remains.

Henceforth and forevermore
this pageant shall be known as
THE HUNGER GAMES.

—————

Once upon a time, I, Juliette Hale,
was the lone victor.
Juliette Hale the Capitol's least favorite victor.
The districts loved her for her defiance
& the Capitol hated her for it.

—————

THE 73RD HUNGER GAMES

"Bryce..." I wandered off. I poked the boy who was hiding in a bush with me. We have been hiding in here for a little over three hours. He must still be sleeping. You don't get much sleep while you're in the arena and it's quite tiring.

Sitting up slowly, I examined our surroundings. There doesn't seem to be anyone - or anything around us. Which is quite unusual because the Gamemakers love to make us constantly afraid.

I look down once more at Bryce, I take in all of his features. His brown hair is half way down his nose, it has grown so much in the last few weeks we've been in the Capitol and the arena. His eyes have dark circles underneath, probably from the lack of sleep. He has lost a lot of weight and it's quite apparent. I mean, I have as well but its not as noticeable as him.
We are both from district 11 and there isn't much food to go around there so we were already malnourished.

I leaned down and gave him a peck on the lips, "I love you, Bryce. I'm going to fill up the waters I will be right back, okay?"

He groaned in response. My daggers laid next to me and I picked them up and walked off. Daggers are my forte. I could throw them and hit any object or person right on the intended part. I never used them until we started training in the Capitol - I caught on extremely quickly.

I took in all of the surroundings, tall trees are everywhere. Blue flowers bloomed nearby and usually I would've thought they were beautiful but them in this arena... is not so beautiful.

Eventually, I reached the stream. The sound of the water was quite relaxing and I relaxed almost immediately. I filled up our waters and washed my face quickly. Quickly, I turned around and headed back.

When I was about thirty feet away, I heard multiple yells. I began to pick up my pace and all I could feel was my heartbeat. The pounding of my heartbeat in my ears and I swear I could feel it thumping out of my chest.

I began getting closer to the bush where Bryce and I were hiding. I notice a figure still laying on the ground. This means Bryce is still there, which is a relief.

When I was about ten feet away I yelled, "Bryce! Bryce! Are you okay? I heard yelling!" No response.

When I reached the bush, I noticed Bryce was definitely there. Blood pouring out of the multiple stab wounds in his chest, dead.