|05 - REMEMBER THEM

CHAPTER FIVE

I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a small spark between Finnick and I. I'd also be lying if I said I didn't find him absolutely stunning.

I've known him for less than a week but I feel like I've known him for ages. Conversation is easy between us and he's been nothing but kind. It makes me feel a bit weary about him... Though, if someone like Johanna said he is trustworthy, it must be a bit true.

We couldn't be more than that friends though even if the chemistry is there. One, if not both of us, are going to be dead in the matter of weeks. So whats the point in even trying to be more?

I can't help but wonder how Bryce would feel about all this... It's been two years since his death but does that make it okay?

So I tell myself, Finnick Odair and I are friends and nothing more.

"So what do you guys think?" Marcus asks us, bringing me back to reality.

"Uh, what?" I look at him, confused at what he is talking about.

"Well if you were paying attention, you'd know that I said that three fourths of the tributes want you two as an ally. So you guys get your choice on who you want." I frown.

Rivin begins, "I want Peeta, Finnick, Johanna and Katniss."

"Those are all good choices... what about you, Jules?" Marcus asks as he turns to look at me.

"Um... I want the same as Rivin but I want Mags too." I tell Marcus and Rivin.

"Mags? I don't think she stands a chance. Mags and I are old friends and she is the sweetest woman, but she is not the best choice as an ally." Marcus explained.

—————

The next day, we sit in a room full of the other tributes. We wait for our names to be called for the individual assessments.

Muffled whispers fill the room as people quietly chat amongst themselves. Rivin and I sit quietly next to eachother, we had nothing to say.

District 4, Finnick Odair, Report for individual assessment.

Finnick gets up from his seat and quickly glances at me. He lightly smiles at me as he walks exits the room.

"What was that about?" Rivin questions. I've never told him anything about Finnick and I so he's probably confused.

"Finnick and I are... friends." I informed him.

"That was not a friend look." He says, unconvinced but he doesn't press me for any more answers.

Eventually, it is district 11.

District 11, Rivin Wilds, Report for individual assessment.

He squeezes my hand as he gets up and leaves quietly. I still haven't decided on what I wanted to do yet. Do I do something with throwing a dagger? Or do I do something unexpected?

I shut my eyes and take a deep breath. It is going to be okay. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I do because I'm just going to die anyway.